1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iraq and Civil War

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rallen13, Mar 27, 2007.

1. rallen13

rallen13 Member

According to Adm. William J. Fallon, the new chief of the U.S. military's Central Command, There is no civil war in Iraq. According to the Admiral, the conflict is being driven by "small factions fighting each other." Isn't that what a civil war is? Maybe the factions are small or maybe they are big. But with the country supporting one of the other, that sounds suspiciously like a civil war to me.
    With all due respect to the Navy (and to alleyallen, just so I'm covering my butt), where the HELL did they get this guy? Even members of the administration and others in the high command are admitting it's civil war. Am I missing something? Feel free to set me straight if I am.

2. He lost the coin flip.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I didn't see Abu Musab Al Zarqawi firing on Ft. Sumter.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

For some reason I'm reminded of the preacher who likes cock but isn't gay. Situational definitions.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's like the mayor of Toronto (the city now has the power to tax us poor sods) who doesn't want them called "taxes". He prefers "revenue tools".

My laugh of the day.

More weasel words.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I wouldn't call it a civil war ... yet. But once we leave and those "small factions" become more organized on each side, then I'd call it a civil war, I guess.

7. Well, I'd call it a civil war.
    Elements of the same population have organized to kill each other.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Is this William J. Fallon related to the first William J. Fallon -- a.k.a. "The Great Mouthpiece"?

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This guy reminds me of Baghdad Bob, the spokesman for Saddam who was declaring Iraqi victory even as the rumble of U.S. tanks could be heard in the background.

Meet Baghdad Bill, everyone.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If this isn't a civil war, then someone in the administration changed the definition without telling the rest of the world.

11. I know a civil war, consarn it.
    [​IMG]

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Why do they call it a Civil War when there's nothing civil about it?

</ducking>

Draft saved Draft deleted