1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ira Berkow retiring from the NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I didn't see a thread on this, which came out last week, but I think it's certainly worthy of one.

To: [New York Times sports staff]
    Subject: Announcement: Ira Berkow Retires From the Times

All,

Ira Berkow is retiring from the Times after 25 years, although he says he has no intention of retiring from writing. "I plan to take advantage of sun and sea but I do have other offers to write." He said those offers include the theater and other publications.

Ira, of course, was a part of the Pulizer Prize-winning series, "How Race Is Lived in America" in 2001, with his story on "The Minority Quarterback." He was also a Pulitzer finalist for commentary in 1988.

He has won numerous other awards in his newspaper career and his work has regularly been cited in the Best American Sports Writing anthology. In fact, he is the only writer whose work has appeared in the anthology in each of the past five decades. His 1985 article "The Lamotta Nuptials" was reprinted in the Best American Sports Writing of the Century book in 1999.

Though he has been in the newspaper business for more than 40 years, his writing hasn't been limited to newsprint. During the course of his career, he has written more than a dozen books, including the best-seller "Hank Greenberg: The Story of My Life," which in 2000 was turned into an award-winning documentary film called "The Life & Times of Hank Greenberg." His most recent book, published just last year, is titled "Full Swing / Hits, Runs and Errors in the Writer's Life."

"I've been at this for 42 years and I'm happy in my situation," Ira said. "I'll write until I have a tombstone over my head."

It won't be all work. "I'm planning to spend a lot of my time on a balcony overlooking the ocean," he said.

We wish him the best.

Tom/Kristin

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read about this on The Big Lead this morning...

Berkow is one of the greats...

3. Still played pick-up ball until a few years ago.
    The business is poorer today.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You wanna read something wild and great? Read The Man Who Robbed the Pierre.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Had the pleasure of playing with Ira and his fellow gym rats of the 47th st Y a few times. Ira has a a game.

I always loved his work but especially enjoyed "To the Hoop" about his days playing pick up ball all over the country.

A book that could only have been written by someone who truly knows the game.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ira is class. Glad to see that he will keep writing because he has much to offer.

On a side note, isn't the signature on the memo odd, considering there's only one name at the top? Seems like one person is either Tom or Kristin, depending on his/her mood that day.

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Shotgun his job. Oh wait. Damn my lack of experience and talent.

Draft saved Draft deleted