1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone5

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gehrig, Sep 12, 2012.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Yes. Honestly, I just went through and picked out which songs I wanted on my phone. It was a pain, but I got the cheaper phone.
    It would have been much easier for me to get the 16 fb, or in your case -- the 32.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I believe a 16 GB IPhone only has 13.09 GB worth of usable space.

My 32 GB IPhone has 28.4 GB of usable space.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Even better.

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I have no idea how that math works when it comes to space on devices.. I bought a one terrabyte external hard drive and it had 700GB worth of space. It's fuzzy math.

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, if you get the paid iCloud account, you can store your entire library in the cloud and access it from whichever device you like where and when you like.

6. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

No. However, I buy the black tie protection from Best Buy. It's $10 or so a month and if something happens to your phone, they'll replace it. Also, the Geek Squad is pretty good about helping as far as support. I've gotten my last two phones from Best Buy and I have had very few complaints with their service.

I find that most cell phone issues can be resolved by Googling the problem and searching the Verizon/Apple support communities.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The preloaded apps, etc., take up space. At least one the phone. I have no idea why an external hard drive wouldn't have the space.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

One other cool iPhone feature is tethering. If you get a data plan that includes tethering, you can use you iPhone basically as a wifi hotspot so you can have internet access on a laptop too. It essentially eliminates the need to have one of those broadband cards.

9. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

It's $15 a month and I just went through this mess. They do not just replace your phone: they try and fix it first and if that doesn't happen, they send it back to the BB you used, and then the store sends it back to see if what else can be done and then they send it back. I sent my phone in for 'service' and it took about three weeks to get anything going. My loaner phone was a flip phone since they did not have any smart phones available which was fine. Nice joke with friends and such. They apparently could not just say from the beginning that my phone would be a junk out and just either send me one or tell the store. They were probably on back order but my store had some in.

I finally was approved for a junk out but would you know it - the BB didn't have any 16 gig iPhones left and I had to get an 8 and they wouldn't give me any store credit for the amount I had leftover from going to the 8 on the 16 gig MSRP.

Thankfully I'll be switching to my work phone full time when my contract is up and a lost iPhone will only be $50 and swapping out broken ones will be free.

/end rant

10. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'm sure this will interest no one, but I went searching for the answer and apparently binary mathematics makes it so that when calculating terabytes to gigabytes, it actually has seven percent less memory than the box advertises.

And then I looked at my external drive and it had a back-up program already pre-installed, so that explains why I had 30 percent less memory than the box advertised.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

When I bought my 4S, the guy at AT&T told me straight up that I wouldn't have exactly 16 gigs of memory. He said it'd be more like 13 GB, which is what it was before I started downloading stuff. So far, I've used 7.4 GB and have 6.2 left.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm downloading iOS6 at the moment, but it says it will take 45 minutes.

#Humblebrag

Draft saved Draft deleted