1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone: Should I buy one?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Might be, might be the perfect storm of suckitude by combining the two.

I'd been slightly annoyed with Sprint before -- again, customer service issues and coverage -- but I personally got pissed off enough to leave after the advent of S/N. Had Sprint for three years. Remained with S/N for mere months.

So, naturally, I attribute it to Nextel.

2. I just got the iPhone on Dec. 1. I was counting down the days until my Verizon contract expired so I could get my hands on the iPhone. I am in hog heaven. I got a Touch last Christmas to hold me over ... the Touch is cool, but you have to be connected to a WiFi network obviously to get email, Internet etc. I would get places and not be able to access my email because I didn't have the password to join the wireless network or there was no wireless. Now, obviously, that's not a problem. I'm in Atlanta, so I'm almost always on the 3G network, which is super fast.

I love the GPS/Maps feature. It zooms in right where you're at and you can type in "restaurants" (or whatever you're trying to find ... the nearest Starbucks) and it will pull up a list of restaurants in the area you're in and it's just one click on the number and you're calling the restaurant. It will also give you directions if you like.

I've been an all-Mac guy since I splurged on a 24-inch iMac (beautiful machine) two years ago, so a big selling point for me was the fact that the iPhone will sync all of the info from my native Mac apps like Mail, Safari, Contacts and Calendar.

So far, I haven't had any problems with AT&T ... the battery life hasn't been a problem for me ... my only issue is the aforementioned ability to send/receive pictures in text messages. There's actually a work-around for sending texts with pics, but none I've found for receiving them.

We're on AT&T's Unity Plan (same cost as regular cell plan) which allows us to call any AT&T number (business, home, cell) and not use minutes. Our home phone is AT&T, so that was also a big selling point. (FYI - never had any problems with Verizon ... they just didn't have the iPhone, so I ended a 6-year relationship with them!)

Definitely recommend the iPhone. You won't regret it.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Another iPhone vote. I'm on my second one. I could live without it, but I wouldn't want to.

But I heard about this yesterday, so you might want to think about it: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=11156

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Don't get the iPhone. Thank me later.

5. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

As a longtime Verizon customer (8 years) thinking of making the switch just because of the iphone, please explain, F_T.

6. forever_town

Some of the problems have been alluded to already.

But one issue I'd have with it is how fragile the thing is. Another is AT&T isn't exactly the best network around. Thirdly, there are so many things it offers that there's a lot more potential for something to go wrong.

Those, and it's prohibitively expensive to boot.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Not for nothing, but I think the iPhone is now cheaper than what I paid for my Voyager. And I've never heard anyone refer to it as fragile.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Haven't found it fragile at all -- just my experience, FWIW. My overall opinion may be colored, however, because I'm an avid and avowed Applephiliac. Just wanted to add that disclaimer.

9. forever_town

So am I, but I have no desire to own an iPhone.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

I miss rotary phones.

11. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Just got a new Samsung Omnia (Verzion) today and it's amazing. I was interested in the Blackberry Storm, but the Omnia has gotten better reviews and is available now, while the Storms are back ordered until mid-January right now.

The Omnia lists for $269.99, but I got $100 off from Verizon since it had been more than two years since I bought my Moto Q, plus I got a $70 rebate, so it's only going to end up costing $100. Not bad for a phone that was running about $700 for the unlocked import version just a few months ago.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I miss singing telegrams.

Draft saved Draft deleted