1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone recording app

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bob, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Sheri

Sheri Member

So excited to try this out.

2. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I have SpeakEasy (versions 1 and 2) and it has terrific sound. My suggestion is to get a foam screen to put over the microphone end of the iPhone on windy days to cut the wind sound. SpeakEasy costs $2.99, I think.

3. WritersBlock

WritersBlock New Member

In addition to all of the great things people have written about the HT Recorder, you can also email the recordings to an address and use that as a means to archive them instead of clogging up your iPhone. Genius.

4. Rhody, I quit using the voice memos app when it flaked out on an interview last summer. Downloaded iTalk lite for free, it's been stellar. Big red "record" button with a timer on so it's easy to make sure you're actually recording. Just make sure you put it in airplane mode when you do your recording so incoming calls and texts don't disrupt the recording.

5. Co-sign.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

This might be of interest to a few of you in radio.

There is a free app called "Tune In Radio" which I love because it has virtually every radio station in the U.S., including many ESPN affiliates, and many around the world. Music and talk, FM and AM.

It carries most minor league sports and many pro games. It carried all of Westwood One's coverage of the NCAA hoops tournament and I found many NBA playoff games last month. MLB games are not usually available through the hometown station, unless the game is broadcast on ESPN Radio (at least that's my experience). It also has most Podcasts available, which is useful if you are not familiar with the Stitcher app (all podcasts).

It's really cool.

Anyway, as it pertain to recording, "Tune In Radio" has a record function. It's so simple. Just hit record to start and hit it again to stop. So you a record live radio, and play-by-play, or whatever. If you are in radio, which I am now, it's very handy if you need sound for on-air. The quality, btw, is flawless.

Hope this helps.

7. Tune In Radio allowed me to listen to the NHL playoffs flawlessly. Great app. I only wish it didn't drain the battery the way it does, but I suppose any app streaming something is only going to let your phone last 2-3 hours straight.

8. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I know what you're saying. Maybe this will help: I my Iphone 4, while Tune In is running, you can then press the home button which eventually allows the home screen to go black; the player will still run but at least you aren't draining the battery by lighting up your home screen.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Is there any way to record the calls you make/take on the iPhone ON the iPhone?

Need to record a bunch of phone interviews that I have coming up and could be out in the field when a bunch of them call back, making it tougher to use accessories from Radio Shack or wherever.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I use my old voice recorder and put the conversation on speakerphone. It's not perfect but it's better than nothing.

There is an app out there that says it'll record your call but I don't remember the name of it and it sounded a bit fishy. I'll look for it and edit this post if I find it.

Edit: There are a couple apps such as CallRec.me but all the ones I've found force you to pay per-minute to use them. For me that's a guarantee I'll never use them.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Plug this into your digital recorder, put it in your ear and talk on the phone normally. (Don't forget to press "record" on the recorder first.)

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-145051-Olympus-TP-7-Telephone-Recording-Device/dp/B000GU88CQ

Used it for years with my cell phone — both my iPhone and the old blocky Sprint device I had previously — and it's wonderful.

Draft saved Draft deleted