1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone recording app

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bob, Jun 2, 2010.

1. bob

bob Member

Wondering if anyone else uses the HT Recording app for the iPhone. I'm finding it to be a tremendous asset. The recording quality is outstanding. You can set various sensitivities from close-up to auditorium recording. I no longer have to place it on a table in front of a speaker at press conferences. Playback is easy with a five-second set-back. And I no longer need my Olympus recorder. Couple of colleagues who use it also swear by it.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I need to try that. I used my "iHandy Level" app to install shelves this past weekend.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You can also transfer the files to iTunes and then either listen back in double time or put it in half time for transcribing.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

SkeeBall.

Can't live without it.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Do they make one of these things for the BlackBerry? I've tried to find one to no avail. I have used the record function for face-to-face, though the audio quality is lacking. I would like to have the capability to record phone calls.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

It's fantastic and another way the device and the whole notion of apps and the IPhone have basically replaced every device I own. I'm not even sure the guys who invented these things knew

I now have a really high-quality digital recorder which will never be used again. Replaced by my phone. It's crazy.

My phone has replaced statkeeping books, audio recorders, levels, graphing calculators, radios, mp3 players, remote controls, car key fobs, thermostats, alarm clocks, cameras, video recorders, books, magazines, cookbooks, phone books, dictionaries, maps, and GPS devices in my life.

And it's kind of scary in a way.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm gonna invent the sports writer app.

8. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I've been using the iTalk app for several months and love it.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I'm waiting for the new Mikey microphone to come out before switching my recorder duties to my iPod (or iPhone if I have one by then). It plugs in to the bottom of your iPod and is a way better mic. The upcoming version will add a line in port so you can record off a land line.

Question: Is it easy to record a mobile call on the iPhone?

10. I've been using the voice memos app that comes standard on all iPhones now since football season and will likely never use anything else. The voice quality of my interviews is impeccable and it really drowns out all background noise.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Thought I'd bring this back.
    I'm really looking for a good app for interviews. I've been using my voice memos, but it flaked out on me today and I'm freaked.
    Anyone try any good apps for the iPhone4 or 3GS?

12. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

I paid a couple bucks for something called HT Recorder and love it. It's got a great -5 second button that makes transcribing a breeze, it'll compress files if you want to squeeze more of them on the internal memory and pretty much has no flaws.

About the only issue you might find is that any app other than the native voice memo one doesn't send MP3 files back to your computer when you sync your device. If you want to back them up you have to do it a bit of a different way. Not hard but not automatic either.

I just noticed my last post on this thread was raving about the Mikey. Well, Mikey's been discontinued. It never made it to market, it seems. Bummer. I've used the built-in mic on the iPhone 4 and had few problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted