1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone or Blackberry?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Mar 6, 2009.

1. lono

lono Active Member

I love my iPhone.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'd sleep in the woods if forced to choose between iPhone and shelter.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Honus Wagner thinks you're a moron.

4. Trey Beamon

I called Max and you're no longer allowed in the restaurant.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Who gives a flying fuck what a long dead baseball dude named Honus thinks of Trey Beamon? :D

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You won this round, Trey. I'll see you in Hell.

7. Trey Beamon

I've had an iPhone for about two months but have been so transfixed on the iPod and web browser that I haven't really checked out the apps.

Any recommendations? Essentials?

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've been told that iPhones will not run Java or Flash.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

There's talk the iPhone will have Flash by the end of the year.
    The Pre will definitely have it by that time.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I have not used an iPhone, but I have recently started using a Blackberry Storm, and, holy crap.

Much like the DVR, once you use one or the other, you'll never be able to go back.

11. donnie23

donnie23 Member

I carry a BB Curve for work and it's perfect for work functions -- good phone (on Verizon) with best email for business. Web experience is very basic, but functional.

Played with iPhone a bunch for personal phone before ultimately sticking with VZW and getting an LG Dare. If you're a heavy Web user, nothing is better than iPhone. It's just a revolutionary way of being on the Web on a mobile device.

But as a phone and text device, it's nothing special. AT&T's 3G network is not the most reliable, not even in the biggest cities (lots of dead zones.) And the call quality is absolutely awful -- tons of background noise and the caller sounds like they're talking into a PVC pipe. Then again, I'm spoiled by the clarity of VZW. Also, to get the same minutes and text allotment I have on VZW would cost another $25/mo.

If you're buying iPhone for the music/video, get something more functional like a BB or Dare -- a $15 microSD card allows you all the music/video functions of an iPhone, minus iTunes. I have 900 songs on my 4GB microSD that I just pop into the Dare, and the music player is great.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Most of all, I'm glad I got one. If nothing else, it's great for killing time while waiting for your food. ;)

I have a Blackberry Storm, and although I love it, I have some issues. When I play my music on it, the "play/record" panel flashes in and out. This is much too new for it to be doing that.

It bothers me that I can't access video well on it. It needs a better integrated player. MLB.TV should be watchable on there, but you can't even get GameCenter on it.

I'm hoping some of these issues get taken care of soon with software updates, but if not, I'm going to have to take it in and demand some answers. And still, yes, I do love it.

Draft saved Draft deleted