1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iphone or Blackberry? Which is better?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Nov 27, 2010.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

I'm a technomoron, but finally broke down and traded my 5-year-old not-smart phone for an iPhone. Really like it. So intuitive that even an idiot like me can figure out how to do things. Service has been good, no dropped calls yet. The touch keyboard took a little getting used to, but is OK once you get the hang of it. Only negative I've found is it's $$$, which is no small thing. But so far so good.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm obsessed with my iPhone. I have my computer on my lap, yet I'm posting this message from my phone. It's my first sj post from a phone and I love it, dammit :)

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Please keep in mind, the Texas hold 'em feature that is built into the BB is horrible.

4. JNEWFIFTY

JNEWFIFTY Member

Droid Pro

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

When I bought my iPhone two years ago it was far and away the best phone I looked at (and I looked at every BB I could find). I went into the purchase actually hoping that there was something better and was won over by the iPhone. I still love the phone and I'm still with an old regular 3G model.

I still haven't seen a BB I'd take over it.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm a Blackberry girl. I can't stand touch screens and can't type on a iPhone. I've had various Blackberries for at least 6 years and I've liked all of them. I'm on the internet a lot and I've been happy with the speed (an iPhone might be faster, but I've been satisfied).

I love the look of the iPhone and I can't dispute that it's sleek and beautiful, but it's not for me. Plus, AT&T service where I live sucks and that's a dealbreaker for me.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Patchs and I are members of the Pre cult.

Want actual keyboard? Got it. Want a touchscreen too? Got it.

But I'm an OS snob, not an apps snob.

This phone out-computes the iPhone and the BB in a big way... But I've never tried the Droid.

Mr. Lugs now has a BB and an iPad... and if we're out, he'll ask me to look something up on my Pre. It's comical.

8. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I've had an iPhone for more than a year and I love it, except for a few minor things. I have the 3G and not the 3GS (which were all that were available when I upgraded) so the 4.0 operating system hasn't worked quite as smoothly as it should. I also have the issue with muting people I'm trying to talk to or calling people with my cheekbone while I'm on the phone. I had a Curve before the iPhone and one of the things I was dissatisfied with was how many apps the BB had versus the iPhone. I hear there are a few more now, but the main apps that I do use are Facebook, Twitter, Scorecenter and a few radio apps.

My contract with AT&T is up soon and I'm switching to Verizon since almost all of my friends and family are on it. (I was on Alltel before AT&T but it wasn't available when I moved and had I known that VZW was going to buy out Alltel, I would have just gone with them right off the bat.) Pretty much set on getting a BlackBerry. I've used my mom's Droid a few times and I'm not a big fan.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I always chuckle when people go on and on about how many apps are available on the iPhone. 99.9% of them are utterly useless crap, and just how much time do people have to sit and play with apps on a tiny screen every day? Maybe people have a LOT of free time, and I just don't see it.

10. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

My iPhone 4 is my first smartphone, so I have no frame of reference, but I've found roughly 50 apps and games that I use on a regular basis.

I'm sure many are available on the Android Market or through Blackberry's app store, but they've absolutely transformed how I operate.

For example:

- I use a texting program which utilizes wifi or 3G instead of the 125 messages that my plan limits me to per month.
    - TweetDeck has got me using Twitter and Facebook far more than I used to (not sure if that's good).
    - Skype lets me phone long distance for way cheaper. I've disconnected my land line as a result.
    - I purchased a better recording app for interviews (better interface for rewinding and checking levels - there were dozens to try for free and I kept the best one).
    - There's a Photoshop app that allows me to crop and colour-correct photos I take with the phone.
    - There's a scanner app that automatically creates PDF's out of pages of text I photograph.
    - The Yellow Pages app is absolutely invaluable for any reporter.
    - A converter app does everything from currency to distance conversions.
    - My bank has an app so I now pay most of my bills through it.
    - There's a flashlight app which comes in handy more often that you'd think.
    - I found a calendar app that syncs both ways with the dozen Google Calendars that I set up and use for work and home.
    - Netflix.
    - Radio apps which let me record the streams as I go.
    - A movie app that even lets me buy tickets.
    - There are always cool games popping up. From Scrabble to Tiger Woods PGA Tour, there's an incredible range.

But yes, a physical keyboard would be swell. BTW, there are small bluetooth keyboards you can buy if you want to use an iPhone for hammering out stories on.

11. patchs

patchs Active Member

Lugs, you're tops!
    Palm Pre, baby!

12. roll fucking eyes

Draft saved Draft deleted