1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone for Dummies

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Jan 16, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I bought an iPhone yesterday. I'm pretty please with it so far.

Any tips for a new user?

What are your must have/favorite apps and/or accessories?

2. maberger

maberger Member

grab the dragon dictation app for your texts and emails.
    pandora is great is you're into music, and so is shazam for naming songs you dont know (but i think there are better apps now)
    i'm looking for a house so redfin for real estate is great, and i added a mortgage calculator app too.
    i also added google and yahoo finance
    the skeeball game is great -- most of these were free when i added them

3. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Words With Friends is a great, great time. I have Pandora, North Face snow report (good for where I live), TWC, SportsCenter for updates on my teams, paper toss, and some others. Those were all free as well. Also, you can get a texting app called TextFree Lite and just text people for free.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sportacular is good for push alerts on games.

WSOP is a good game. Check with your bank to see if they have an app. I now pay most bills via an app.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Be careful.The banks apps are not secure. I know a number of people who had their accounts drained. If you use keep as low a balance as possible.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I use the recorder for all my interviews, which I can then upload into my iTunes (and convert to mp3 if I want to put audio on our Web site). I also use my 32GB phone's video camera to record interviews from time to time. My paper's Web folks say the quality of my iPhone video is better than the Flip cam that I have.

I also play the Let's Golf game regularly. I'm still chasing 20-under.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I play the iBowl game on my friend's iPhone.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Just saw that the old Mattel football game (the original was that white handheld game all us kids of the 80s had, the sequel was green). I haven't downloaded yet, but you can be sure I will.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

TweetDeck (for managing my personal and work Twitter accounts), ScoreCenter from ESPN, Stanza (which is an eBook reader), last.fm (a music app like Pandora), Fandango, IMDb, TWC.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm using Echofone but might switch over to Tweetie 2 or tweetdeck.

11. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I have WordPress (for my paper's blog), TweetDeck, TWC, MLB AtBat, SportsCenter, Big Ten Highlights, SI, AP, NY Times, KC Star, Facebook, Pandora, Shazam, NPR, IMDB, Photoshop, CardStar (has the bar code for all those discount/MVP cards), Target, BlackFriday, Fandango, a bunch of food-related apps and about 15 games. My favorites are Sudoku, LineUp and Link4.

12. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

I'll add the following: NYT is really cool, you can save articles even; awesome note lite is good if you're an idea machine and need to keep them organized; epicurious is fun if you like to cook, it has recipes from bon apetit, etc.; yelp has been a very useful find; and urbanspoon is pretty reliable for finding places to eat particularly handy when traveling and it's free unlike zagat.
    Have fun, the iPhone is crazy addictive!

Draft saved Draft deleted