1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPhone (and knockoff) users question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by crimsonace, Aug 6, 2008.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

How many of you have used your iPhone (or a knockoff) to listen to any kind of streamed Internet broadcast?

Or, how many of you listen to streamed Internet broadcasts for sporting events?

The local metro had a story that Jeff Smulyan of Emmis is trying to get cell providers to add FM tuners to cell phones, noting that many iPhone users are listening to streaming broadcasts and routing them through car stereos, et al.

(I ask for selfish reasons ... we're 3 weeks away from a big webcasting push for live football, and we're expecting our core audience to be high school & college students and recent grads -- the most likely listeners we have. I'm pitching to sponsors, but I wondered if any of the tech-savvy folks out here might actually do such a thing).

As for me, I listen to the streaming games on NHL.com, but that's about it.

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I had a headset adaptor for my last two cellphones (neither even close to the sophistication of an iPhone) which allowed them to be used as FM radios. I didn't use the feature nearly as often as I thought I would when I bought the adaptor online, only because I was concerned about draining my phone's battery. The signal was clear and strong, just the same as the radio.

If a streaming Internet broadcast was that reliable, I'd listen to those as well... though I don't actually play many on my laptop. I suspect people who live farther from their "home teams" would be more inclined to do so. If you're already listening to a sports broadcast online, it's not a major leap to do it via your phone.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As someone with a spouse at Emmis who watched her 401k match converted into company stock instead of cash (not a good thing these days), I hope Smulyan's on to something big, even though I don't understand a lick of it.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

I listen to streaming audio on my Treo 700p all the time, it's great for sports talk when I don't live in a certain town.
    www.thestreamcenter.com
    http://www.thestreamcenter.com/pda/ for your smartphone

Draft saved Draft deleted