1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPad me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, I know we've had iPad threads before but indulge me.

Today, in my Yuppee moment as the kids would say, I'm in a long line at Starbucks to refill my mug before coming to work. Guy behind me has a very fancy looking iPad so being the pain in the ass that I am, I struck up a conversation. He essentially said it was easier than lugging around your laptop and easier than trying to use a smart phone with its small screen.

That's pretty much all I needed to hear. I love gadgets but always thought why get one of these? I have a smartphone and a laptop.

He said the current version was significantly better than the earlier version.

So now I lean toward getting one.

Yes? No? Experiences? Talk me off my ledge. And if you can't, tell me what I can expect to pay.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought this was the thread for the new South Park season...

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I thought about one for the same reasons, but talked myself out of it because I'd rather pay off current debts than add to my total.

If my balance were closer to even, the only reason i wouldn't have done it is that you can't use Flash on it (probably minor reason, but still annoying) and the other one (Xoom) doesn't have an Office app.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you can do more with a laptop -- and pay less for it -- than with an iPad. So to me that outweighs any lugging-around disadvantage.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there's any question you can do more with a laptop. Maybe I just need a better smart phone. This dude had some books on his, said you could have everything on your Kindle on your iPad.

The one I'd want, with 64 gig and 3G, is about 900. Plus the 3G hit. So maybe not yet.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

How hard is it to type on an iPad? I'm guessing it's way easier on a laptop.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I didn't like the touchscreen keyboard, though I think some people can get used to it. The better bet is to use a bluetooth keyboard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Things I really hate about the iPad:

The typing is terrible. I mean, really terrible. I need to get the Bluetooth
    keyboard.

No ad blocker for Safari. This is a huge problem. I understand you can use a different browser, but not clear what that really means, maybe someone can advise me.

No Flash, as someone mentioned above. Annoying.

Any overhead light or direct sunlight reflects directly into your eyes, making the screen unreadable.

In no way does it replace a laptop, unless you rarely use a laptop anyway.

That said, it's certainly a lightweight alternative when you don't want to lug the laptop around. The new version is much lighter than the original.

Feeling very over-gadgeted right now... laptop, iPad, blackberry, kindle, iPod, I'm always charging something.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Mine is on the Fed Ex truck for delivery any minute now!

I suspect I will use it mostly for traveling and other places I'll have long waits. I can also use it to read and/or watch TV in bed while my wife sleeps. Figure MLB.tv too.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Get a better phone, Moddy. And if you already have a laptop you like, that's all you need.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Looks great for consumption of media, but from the responses here the production of media seems problematic. I'm so accustomed to lugging around the laptop now it's not a problem. More of a problem if I don't have it with me.

21's got a point about gadgetry. I don't see me getting an e-reader any time soon. Once I graduate to an iPone or Droid, I'm pretty sure that'll be it.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I travel quite a bit for work and it has not replaced my laptop. Great media viewing device, crappy creation device.

As noted, keyboard sucks and lack of Flash is more irritating than a major issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted