1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa State hires _____?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Shaggy, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Media reports are saying that Iowa State will hire two different guys apparently.

ESPN's ticker cited its own writer saying Central Michigan's Brian Kelly is the guy. He denied it this morning.

Now a TV guy is Des Moines is saying it's Texas' d-coordinator Gene Chizik, though no one else can confirm it. A press conference is scheduled for 6 p.m.

I've never seen a secret so well-kept.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'd go with the Texas guy. [/guessing]

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I want the Cyclones to hire Mark Mangino.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I saw the Rolling States at Cyclone Stadium once. Steel Wheels tour. Sucked.

5. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Well, there is enough of him for two schools.

6. Johnsonville

Johnsonville Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Well, Chizik just did a stupid thing.

Sorry, but that program's No. 11 of 12 in that conference in terms of marketability and allure for college football. The North Division's been populated by diseased yaks in recent years. That's finally changing, while Kansas and Colorado will only improve.

Chizik would have been smarter to bang around for another season until Arizona State, Illinois and others fire their respective coaches.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

University of San Diego head coach Jim Harbaugh reportedly is out of the running after Iowa State had him on their list. Union-Tribune reported Wednesday that Harbaugh's agent said his client had taken himself out of the running for the job.

9. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Mike Shula.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Larry Eustachy

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I tell you what, all of us here in Iowa look pretty stupid this morning. All of the Iowa media said it was going to be Kelly. Who would have thought Chizik would land in Pollard's lap? The biggest fool today is clearly Ivan Maisel of the WWL, who said last night that it was Kelly.

Whatever Pollard sold to Chizik, the shit must have worked, because no one would have imagined him coming to Ames and following the Pied Piper and his grand plans to renovate Jack Trice and Hilton Coliseum.

The T.V. guy in question is John Walters of WOI-TV in Des Moines. He's the Cyclones' play-by-play guy. The Register and Walters showed up at the Ames airfield and got the skinny when the plane landed. Chizik was the last person off the plane, which gave it the whole thing away.

Walters found out around 10:45 CST and headed up there ASAP.

Uh, Alma, Arizona State canned Koetter last night. And Chucky the Chest is gone as well.

Harbaugh and Norvell knew on Friday that Pollard wasn't interested in them and took their names out of it. Kelly was being offered an extension and more $$$ if he stayed at CMU. Pollard was never interested in Kragthrope. It was a smoke screen. Norvell had ties to ISU as he was a former assistant and he played at Iowa. Harbaugh was too sexy a pick to take.

It would be an interesting conspiracy theory if Pollard used Kelly to keep his real choice under wraps.

Leave Larry out of this. ::)

12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

To add to the well-kept secret theory: Pollard had planned on addressing the status of McCarney at the end of the season, but two things accelerated the decision to can Mac: the losing and the media asking the players about Mac. Word leaked out that Pollard was likely to can him and Pollard was pissed that it got out. So he cut everyone at the pass and call the presser and gave Mac his walking papers.

When asked what precipated the decision, Pollard admonished the Iowa media for asking the kids and talking to those in the athletic office. So Pollard decided to teach everyone a lesson and do whatever it took to fool everyone until he got his guy. That is why my assertion in my last post would suggest that Pollard used Kelly as a smoke screen to divert attention from Chizik. However, the Wizard of Odds website dropped Chizik's name over the weekend.

It is interesting to see on the number of assistants in the Big 12 staying in the league to be head coaches. Leach and Mangino were on Stoops' staff and Chizik from Mack Brown's staff.

Draft saved Draft deleted