1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa paper prints salaries -- and some commentary

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I believe he was underminding them. Sounds like a stealth strategy.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Riptide, if not for the blue font, you'd be a poster after my own heart.

3. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Sure, you can. I'm sure the world is a much better place now, too.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

13 or 14 years ago, the AJC published a list of the salaries for every public high school in the state. IIRC, the list included head coaches and assistants for football and basketball. Took several pages, agate type, and it was a massive attention-getter. Lots of fun was had by all. There were no comments like the one in this case.

A few years after that, the paper did a similar, though smaller, project about teacher salaries. Highest paid classroom teacher in the state was a football coach in a suburban county. He'd been teaching more than 30 years and had a PhD, and he was not happy about his salary being made public.

5. Any public school teacher who doesn't think their salary is public info is an idiot.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised how many don't realize that, or that their work emails are public record, too.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yeah, stuff like that causes some people to stay away from public jobs.

If you feel self-conscious about people knowing your salary, maybe it means you feel that you're not really earning it.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I don't begrudge hyperqualified teachers of many years service earning $100K, assuming they're producing smart, advancing students.

I do begrudge public employees cashing out on $75K-90K pensions at age 55, while taxpayers work till they're 85 to pay for them. Some draw pensions longer than they actually worked.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's a good thing newspapers don't publish the salaries of their own publishers and editorial employees.

10. They should, but publishers and editors only think some info needs to be public.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Do tax dollars fund newspapers?

12. Yes. Or do mail subsidies or public notices not count?

Draft saved Draft deleted