1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa paper prints salaries -- and some commentary

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think it's around there in CPS, as well. During the teachers strike, the figure was rolled out pretty consistently to shame teachers.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure that's the full story.

Why would anyone be surprised or upset that a hospital muckety-muck makes nearly as much as a pretty good College Football Championship Subdivision Football Coach?

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Higher than, say, the governor? That's an indictment of a society that has its priorities out of whack.

4. You'd be funnier if you played a character instead of yourself.

5. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Interesting update on Romenesko:

<Dunham (the managing editor) said his comment about university employees with “hyphenated, unspellable and oriental names” getting large salaries “is a clue to what’s to be found there” in the list. He didn’t see a problem with it.>

Wow. Just wow.

And he said he had no idea there was any controversy or people online upset with it, because he doesn't go online and only deals with what's on paper.

6. joe

joe Active Member

Mean, median or mode? Makes a difference.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Way to make us look good, Montezuma Mennonite Editor!

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It has a listed circulation of 884 and a readership listed of 1,768. The staff is as follows:
    Chuck Dunham Publisher
    Chuck Dunham General Manager
    Chuck Dunham Editor
    Chuck Dunham Advertising Manager
    Chuck Dunham Production Manager
    Chuck Dunham Circulation Manager

Wouldn't be surprised if all complaints can be given to the brick wall outside.
    This is a nutjob with a newspaper, he isn't the only one in this great nation with one. He's likely the only guy who works there (and if not I doubt the staff size doesn't exceed 5) and all he does is use the paper to print his own opinions about politics and the like. We have a paper like here in my area, and until the publisher died he had a column on the front page of his paper every week railing on the county commissioners.

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No surprise there, right? I hope we hear more bleatings from Chuckie.

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Maybe romenesko should do a little better job researching his subject. His attempt to undermine (whoops) racist attitudes and perceptions actually did quite the opposite because of the platform he speaks from. He actually reinforced it.

I doubt anyone ever would have heard of this guy were it not for old romeo.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, can't expose a tool like that, can we?

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Damn Romeo, always forgetting to research his racist newspaper editors.

Draft saved Draft deleted