1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa HS football coach shot and killed in the weight room

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There isn't a church in that county big enough to hold the number of people who will turn out for this funeral. They could fill the UNIDome.

The number of people who Ed Thomas positively impacted and genuinely touched during his time at A-P is in the hundreds of thousands. The fact that he was killed by a former player he was trying to help speaks to the character of the man.

The greatest compliment you can pay a coach is to be able to say "he's the kind of guy you want your kid to play for."

Ed Thomas was the embodiment of that statement.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Please take the gun argument somewhere else fellas.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Probably true. I can't imagine how family would cope with the aftermath of something like this.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Thomas's son mentioned the Becker family during the press conference, how they were also thinking about them going through a difficult time. I see Becker's dad is a deacon at the church where Thomas was an elder.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A man as revered as Ed Thomas gets shot and killed the same day a man elected governor of South Carolina does his mea culpa on his affair.

God, you got some 'splainin' to do.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Also noticed that ESPN was covering this story extensively. Granted, it's a tragic story but would ESPN cover it so completely if it did not have archive footage from its story on Parkersburg rallying around the FB team after the tornado? Seems like ESPN is acting like, "Hey, this was one of OUR stories, so it deserves big-time coveage."

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

My paper, unfortunately, did the same thing.

A local basketball player was hurt in a car accident shortly after their season ended (postseason was in later stages). My sports ed had done a very in-depth article on the trials and tribulations of this senior class (mothers with cancers, fathers dying in accidents, players missing time with tumors, etc.).

My co-worker writes the accident article for the news section. Our M.E. has the copy desk edit the story to read something like, "a girl featured in a recent article by us is in an area hospital."

And ran that way without telling us.

Our S.E., a very stand-up guy who I've been glad to work under for the last 5 years, told our M.E. that if he wants something from us again, at least explain why you are changing our stuff before it hits the press.

The guy who wrote the article was thoroughly pissed.

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The funeral is set for 10:30 am CDT on Monday at First Congregational Church in Parkersburg, courtesy of Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier.

Armchair, I agree with you. There's no way in hell any church in Butler, Bremer, or Black Hawk Counties will hold the amount of people who will be there on Monday.

If UNI's AD Troy Dannen have a heart, he would open the doors of the UNI-Dome and let them use it.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Guns aren't used as vases. They are there to shoot something. Tin cans, deer, a guy you don't like.

Same as pickups. They can carry weight in the back, whether it's a load of sand or a dead body.

It's all on the owners as to how they're used. And if they're stolen, then someone else can use them for good or evil.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Was this Becker kid a good ball player in high school? Did he play in college at all?

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

has anyone speculated in a motive for this sick effer who offed hbis former coach? i mean, does he think he was done wrong by the coaching legend everyone else seems to have adored? ??? ??? ???

or is he simply a deranged freak with a gun?

oh, and i totally agree his family, victimized like everyone in town, had best move far, far away -- asap. why put yourselves through what is ahead for them? best for all involved, no doubt in my mind. :( :( :(

12. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like he was much. Saw a story where he was arrested while in high school but the ruling said he could play football if the school allowed and Thomas let him back on the team. And no college ball. He sounds deranged, mixed with a drug problem. Nice combination. The guy whose house he attacked on Saturday hadn't seen him since high school, completely out of the blue.

Draft saved Draft deleted