1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Iowa and Southern Miss in Logo Dispute

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

When I was in Alabama, Talladega High School (who are the Tigers) asked permission to use Texas Tech's interlocking "TT" logo. Texas Tech allowed them to do so, but only asked that they make a small donation --- maybe $50 --- to the school's general scholarship fund.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Nice pull. Hadn't thought of that in years.

3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Don't be too sure. I read a story a year or so ago about a high school in Florida that went round and round with the Chrysler Corp., because the school was using an exact replica of the Ram logo on Dodge trucks. The school ended up agreeing to change their logo and remove the old ones in a timely manner, but it got pretty contentious before it was resolved.

The same story also mentioned a high school in Kansas that got a cease-and-desist order from the University of Texas over a logo they were using that was very similar to the Longhorn logo.

4. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Last year, the University of Florida sent a cease and desist letter to one of our local schools telling them to stop using a gator logo that was a little too similar for their liking. Florida had apparently sent the same letter to a bunch of other schools, too.
    The funny thing, in our case at least, was that it was just one of about six different gator logos the high school team used. In some cases they had two or three different ones on the same uniform (one on the helmet, a different one on the sleeve and a third on a hip patch). Their reaction was along the lines of, "Meh. We'll change them when we get new uniforms and just use one of the others."

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

If Iowa is going to be like this, why don't the good folks in Hattiesburg just go all the way and turn the visiting locker room pink?

6. Armchair_QB

As a native Iowan I can assure you it's not Southern Miss.

We do tend to have all of our teeth though.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I still have no idea why they did that.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Iowa cracked down on my high school a few years ago when the logo changed to the Hawkeye. Not sure how Iowa even found out about it, but the logo was gone the next season.

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Those logos don't look close enough to warrant a successful lawsuit.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Penn State went after a NOVA elementary school I think.

See, when your mascot is Satan, you don't have these problems.

11. Armchair_QB

Hayden Fry copied it from the Dallas Cowboys, who were using it at the time under Tom Landry.

Fry also redid their uniforms so they would "look like the Pittsburgh Steelers right up until we snap the ball."

12. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

There is a school near Ball State that is only 1-2 hours from Cinci. Their main color is green and nickname is Tigers. Big logo painted on the side of a dugout? A tiger head that looks identical to the Bengals logo. It's even orange which isn't one of their colors.

Draft saved Draft deleted