1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IOC to Dick Pound: STFU!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ellis Redding, Feb 12, 2007.

1. It's about goddamned time.

WADA chairman rebuked for anti-Armstrong comments

ESPN.com news services

Score this development in the years-long feud between Lance Armstrong and World Anti-Doping Agency chairman Dick Pound a "major victory" for the seven-time Tour de France champion.

In a rebuke considered rare because it involves one of its own members, the International Olympic Committee officially reprimanded Pound for comments that might have damaged the legendary cyclist's reputation. The Los Angeles Times first reported the story on Saturday.

According to the IOC's decision, dated Feb. 2, the organization's ethics commission recommended that Pound had "the obligation to exercise greater prudence consistent with the Olympic spirit when making public pronouncements that may affect the reputation of others."

Armstrong lauded the IOC's stance against Pound.

"It's not common that the IOC comes out and issues a reprimand or a warning about one of their members at all," Armstrong told The New York Times by phone Sunday. "This is as close to a censure as it could get."

Armstrong, who has consistently denied using performance-enhancing drugs, and Pound have been sparring verbally for several years without the benefit of a referee. On this occasion, the IOC jumped in after Armstrong two years ago called on the ethics commission to take disciplinary action against Pound.

It was at that time in 2005 that Pound suggested Armstrong had taken the banned blood-boosting drug EPO during the 1999 Tour de France. Pound was reacting to a report in the French sports daily L'Équipe, which claimed that six urine samples from Armstrong taken during the 1999 race had retroactively tested positive for the drug.

There was no reliable test for EPO in 1999, but urine samples were preserved and analyzed later when improved testing technology was developed. Armstrong was cleared last May. Lawyer Emile Vrijman, who led the investigation, said WADA and the French national doping laboratory had effectively pronounced Armstrong guilty of a doping violation without sufficient basis.

Reached by The Times at his Montreal home on Sunday, Pound said the IOC's decision was its way of "doing something that will make Lance go away and stop bothering them." Pound also did not back off his comments concerning positive tests for EPO linked to Armstrong in the L'Équipe report.

"Lance Armstrong has probably killed a Brazilian rain forest with all the paper he has used to file his complaints against me," Pound told The Times.

"He keeps alive this whole thing that he should be trying to fade away, that a French accredited laboratory found that he had six positive samples for EPO in 1999. Maybe he thinks if he huffs and he puffs, all of this will go away, but it won't."

While Armstrong initially had called for Pound's ouster, he seemed pleased that Pound had at least been warned publicly to watch what he says.

The cyclist told The Times on Sunday that Pound's comments cast doubt as to whether an athlete is clean before that athlete's doping case can be made. Pound is "a clown" who is an "absolute disaster when it comes to giving interviews," Armstrong said.

"This is for the sake of the other people that have to come behind me because they deserve better," he told the newspaper. "I hope this establishes a certain precedent that the head of WADA has to act a certain way in public. And I think that's a good thing."

2. Thank god somebody finally said it.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And would you guys like to take him and keep him down there---along with Celine and Howie Mandel?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In a followup memo, the IOC would like to state that it thought the Athens games in 1896 went off better than expected, all things considered.

5. No way. You already foisted Pamela Anderson and Tom Green upon us. Fucking hosers! :D

6. And Frum and Steyn. You can have them back, too.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Dick Pound gets pounded up here on a regular basis. Talk about an attention whore.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Better headline would've been: IOC to Dick Pound: Pound dick!

9. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Call me crazy but I'm still convinced that Landis is guilty. Why would he take an outdated form of steroids on one day only. It doesn't make sense. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but there's something fishy going on there.

10. I swear I was going to do something similar to that. But then I figured Moddy would just change it as soon as he saw it.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The good thing about that, JR, is that there is no Entertainment Tonight, The Insider, or Extra, to follow that media whore around. I want to call him the Canadian sports version of Fred Phelps, but Phelps would think that would be fucked up to compare him to good ol' Dickie.

12. Rarely has someone been as appropriately named as Dick Pound.

Draft saved Draft deleted