1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IOC getting called out by Costas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

This is precisely the thought pattern that leads to the darkest events of history being repeated.

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

IIRC, they haven't done anything in memory of the athletes who died at previous competitions when those years come around. This is, in fact, the 100-year anniversary of the first athlete to die during competition at the Olympics, and if they're not doing anything to commemorate that, then at least they're being consistent about that. If they were honoring that and not the Israelis, then I think Israel would have a better case.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There's a difference between 6 athletes and one physician who have died over 116 years of modern Olympics and 11 athletes targeted for assassination in 1 day because of their religion in a country that attempted genocide against them.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I think you're right.

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

This. The IOC should not have treated the two similarly.

For me, though, any gesture from the IOC is so false and empty that I'm fine with their decision.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The IOC is, in my mind, the most corrupt and immoral organization in all of sports. More than the NCAA, easily.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Maybe the Israeli delegation will wear black when it marches in the ceremonies. That would be appropriate, I suppose. Of course, most of the athletes weren't even born in 1972.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tough shit.

Let them be offended over the actions of members of their fellow religion.

9. FIFA is far worse than the NCAA and challenges the IOC on any given day.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You could be Management potential in Alabama or New Orleans

Problems? People hate us? Why, no, not at all. It's all happy news. Move along, nothing to see here.

/iagreewithijag/

11. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The IOC has already gone out of its way once this year to let the marathon runner from Sudan run under the Olympic flag because he refuses to run for his old country and didn't make the US or Sudanese teams.

Now you expect them to take a minute to honor those athletes who went to Munich to represent their country and were killed by others for it.

Boy, you are expecting a lot </sarcasm>

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is the same organization that allows countries to get away with refusing to let their athletes compete in the same events as Israel.

Unfortunately, not a stunner.

Draft saved Draft deleted