1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IOC getting called out by Costas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jul 21, 2012.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The grand poobahs of the magic graft machine denied Israel's request for a moment of silence at the opening ceremony, which falls on the 40th anniversary of Munich.

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bob-costas-olympics-israel-munich-351132

Good for Team Peacock speaking up against their meal ticket. Almost startling to see someone take a principled stand and have it backed up.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I figure NBC will prepare a feature for ceremonies. Not a big fan of anniversary commemorations for the sake of commemoration - but considering how the IOC handled it 40 years ago, this provided a chance for a make good - and they whiffed.

Also should be interesting to see how Ramadan affects some athletes.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Got not problem with this. At all. Despite the fact the moment of silence will be on tape delay, per usual.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

According to Phil Hersh, one of the reasons the IOC doesn't want to do a moment of silence is because it would offend its muslim members.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/globetrotting/chi-ioc-rejects-worldwide-calls-for-opening-ceremony-memorial-to-murdered-israelis-20120721,0,697883.column

The IOC’s attitude involves an element of realpolitik. It clearly is fearful of the potential uproar that could follow from the nearly two dozen Arab countries and some two dozen more primarily Muslim countries sending teams to London.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I think we've found a home for that Paterno statue.

6. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Actually, the Opening Ceremonies aren't exactly on the 40th anniversary of the Munich Massacre. The Olympics in '72 were in late August-early September. In fact, I was on my way to the church for my best friend's funeral on Sept. 5 (he'd been killed in a car crash a couple of days before) when they announced the disaster on the runway at the airport. Talk about a black day in my memory; probably the worst day of my life.

It is an especially dark spot on the black soul of Avery Brundage that those Games weren't immediately stopped. But I guess nobody should have been surprised. Brundage was a virulent anti-Semite from way back, and it's sad to see that legacy lives on in the IOC.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's been 40 years since the 1972 Olympics. That's the anniversary that would be marked.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Oh, I know, it's just that the article referenced in the OP gives the impression that the ceremonies were on the actual anniversary of the tragedy.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Did they do a 20-year?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The IOC has done nothing beyond the memorial that took place in Munich immediately following the murders.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Most people prefer to remember the happier times and not the dark days. I'm sure the Israeli delegation will do something and that's fine. And plenty of media stories will be done, ala 9-11-2011.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, I hope you're fake. That there's not someone out there who actually thinks the words that you type.

Draft saved Draft deleted