1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Invincible Simmons muffs the punt

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Sep 21, 2006.

1. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

He had to be reminded by readers about the Ebersol crash? Oh my.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And here it is ...

2. I screwed up something in Wednesday's column -- Vince Papale didn't block a punt for a touchdown in "Invincible." Actually, he forced a fumble on a punt return and ran it in for a touchdown. Apparently this DID happen in a real game, only it was a much shorter return (about 10 yards) and didn't count because you couldn't advance fumbles on kick returns by rule at the time. So yes, Hollywood did tinker with that one.

... I love how he still manages to say, "See, Hollywood did tinker with the ending," despite the correction.

Just curious, if there are other regular Bill Simmons readers here, has anybody written him suggesting that he should don the Doug Christie jersey for allowing his wife to set the terms by which she would make weekly picks? For those who don't read his columns, she gets one rant per week that neither Simmons, nor ESPN editors can touch. If that's not whipped ...

Oh, and The Sports Gal owns a one-game edge after two weeks. :D

3. Can I point out that Simmons doesn't know dick about movies?
    Get him off Shawshank --- aka Steel Magnolias For Men --- and the 1980's and he's drowning. And his taste is, well., dreadful.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're now dead to me, Fenian.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I was wondering if you could return a muff in 1976.

I didn't hop on the bus till '77.

FTR... you haven't been able to return a muff then or now.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You can say the same thing about his taste in TV shows.

And professional sports franchises.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It's the writer's job to get the facts straight.

Draft saved Draft deleted