1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Invictus

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Lugnuts, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

I'm saving this movie for Dec. 25.

Catching a movie with my folks on Christmas has become a new tradition since I got a real job.

I think all of our Christmas movies have involved either Clint Eastwood or Will Smith.. oh and Aviator was in the mix one year too.

Anyhoo... the Highway family is looking forward to this movie with great expectations.

After all, the Eastwood-Freeman connection is 2-for-2 in the Oscar's Best Picture category with Million Dollar Baby and Unforgiven.

Full Disclosure: I'm an unabashed Eastwood "homer."

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Saw this today. It was pretty good I guess. I thought Freeman was great as Mandela, but I'm not sure the script had enough depth for his performance to be Oscar worthy. The in-game scenes were picturesque, but drug on too long.

I'm really into geo-politics and have read Mandela's outstanding autobiography Long Walk to Freedom, so I enjoyed the political angle of the film. I'm not sure if someone who isn't interested in either rugby or Mandela would enjoy this.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I just saw this today. Don't see a lot of movies in the theater. Figured some others are like me and wait for it to come out on HBO.

I thought it was right good. I was entertained and learned a few things. It was a well-spent couple of hours.

Morgan Freeman as Mandela was a home run. I can't compare Damon to his real life counterpart, but he did a good job.

I really liked the play between the black and white guys on the security detail. I also thought the deviation from clear, "movie" scenes to putting Freeman into "stock" footage was a nice touch.

Draft saved Draft deleted