1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Introduction

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Adam Ide, Oct 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

But we are who we think we are!

wicked likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Neil Leifer loved Musial too.

[​IMG]

Adam Ide likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And good answer on the DH.

As you saw the other night in an LCS, Buehler stepped up with the bases loaded and down a run ... and looked at a nasty curve for strike 3. Pitcher v. Pitcher adds a little more drama.

It's why we cheer Bartolo getting hits, or even swinging so hard and missing that his helmet falls off.

Adam Ide likes this.
  4. Adam Ide

Adam Ide New Member

Right, nasty curve from Chacin I believe. The strategy of when to pinch hit for a pitcher makes NL ball that much more interesting.

Bartolo is our Lord and savior haha.

5. Adam Ide

Adam Ide New Member

Can you change your name once you've signed up?

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Yes, you can just let it go. It's not mandatory to respond to everything, here or anywhere. It's much saner not to. If it comes across to you as a stupid question, like "why the heck do you need to know that?" you are under no obligation to answer it. That you cave into the thought you have to reply to everything makes you a bigger target of teasing.

I don't think you can change a name on an account, but you can nuke it and start over. Most people come and go quietly. If you stick around, in time, you'll figure out who's worthy of listening and responding to. (Hint: Moddy is one.) It takes awhile to figure it all out. (Said someone who's been around since 2006 and still hasn't figured it out...)

Maybe you did this, I'd suggest lurking awhile before jumping in; it gives you a taste of the tone of the place and an idea of people's personalities.

Adam Ide likes this.
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

In other words, figuring out which ones honed their talent at snark through practice at other websites.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, God, where were you to tell me this when I was 21 years old cranking out pretty prose without a single useful sentence?

Liut likes this.
  9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Adam, respectfully you appear too honest, naive (most admirable), and these old timers are pouncing on it (I’ve been the target many times). Don’t be afraid to ignore. Remember at all times, while many here offer unique insights (which is why I enjoy this) we are all behind the great internet barrier, we may not be who we appear to be despite our best efforts. Welcome (once again).

Adam Ide likes this.
  10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Watch The Client. Brad Renfro was great in it.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Crusty old-timers can be a pain in the ass but they also can be very helpful. First desk guy I ever dealt with was a real pain many times (OK, ALL the time!) but I still remember a couple things he said early in my career: You're eager, not anxious (unless you're nervous); it's not basic fundamentals, it's one or the other (basic fundamentals is redundant); and it's always noon or midnight, never 12 a.m. or 12 p.m. I can't believe how many long-time reporters I still see making these mistakes as well as the "first the time, then the day or date, then the place" AP Style rule.

Adam Ide likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Welcome, Adam. We old-timers occasionally offer good advice about journalism, car repair, fast food, etc.

But mostly we just swap useless trivia about music, sports and movies. Kind of like an old-school copy desk in a newsroom.

Speaking of music, here's an "Introduction" for you:

ChrisLong and Adam Ide like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted