1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Intranet in a box

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Mar 22, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I'm charged with re-doing our company's intranet site. I have no idea what I am doing.

I've been told we can't use our CMS to upgrade our intranet and that I need to find "intranet in a box" software and rebuild it.

Any suggestions?

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

This might sound like a smartass answer, but it's really not. Go to Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc., and buy the Web design for dummies book.

My daughter, a ninth-grader, had a Web design class last semester and was struggling. I bought the book and she was, at first, insulted. Then she started reading through it. Then she started designing the Web site for her group, and it turned out great. Even I understood what was going on as I was watching her build the site, and I'm not a tech guy.

The book is easy to understand and very well organized. It'll be worth your time and money - trust me.

Also, for the smart-alecks in the crowd, please don't make references to other things in a box (manure with a cherry on top). I hope we never see that again in SportsJournalists.com nation.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Damn you, WolvE!

What the person is saying about the "in the box" comment is generic software that you can make work for your purposes, as opposed to something developed specifically for your needs.

And WolvEagle's suggestion couldn't hurt.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, web site design and networking -- setting up an intranet -- are two different skills.

I don't have a "software in a box" recommendation, but I feel bad for you working at a place that looks at something like an Intranet and thinks is it a task that can just be assigned to someone, regardless of whether they have the experience to set up an Intranet.

I know you are just doing what you have to do, though.

5. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Maybe you should hire WolveEagle's daughter as a consultant...

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

If you don't mind putting up with a bossy 14-year-old who thinks she knows more than her father ...

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Why I, as a copywriter, would have to do this, I don't know. But my boss said to put together a proposal, so I'm sort of screwed.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

We are transitioning to SharePoint for our internal workspace, and it can do double duty as a Web portal.
    Frankly, the entire process is a real bear. I don't wish it upon anybody and I wish I had no involvement in the project.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Come on, what other nasty things could possibly come in a box?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I recommend paying extra for the software that lets you manipulate payroll without being detected.

11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Member

I'm going back to college for web design and one thing I've learned is exactly how to do this. There are plenty of good third party programs that can be used for an Intranet, and you can still use your current CMS via a Virtual Private Network (VPN)...its kind of like a contractor you use to remodel your house, you rely on third parties to do the actual job, you actually oversee it. You need to convince the boss that trying to simply do it yourself out of the box is opening yourself up to all manner of security horrors....try and find either a rep with a third party software company that can present a professional proposal for the system (for free, hoping for the sale of course)...you can also look for a freelance IT consultant...most importantly you need to convince the boss that if someone who doesn't know what they are doing sets this up and there's a security breach on down the road, the company is libable for it...that's not something I'd want to be responsible for...if you use an actual rep or IT consultant, they would be the ones liable as long as the company kept up the recommmened security procedures.....

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I like this idea. Although we don't keep personal information of our customers so security breaches aren't a big deal. Plus our main product is security breach insurance.

Draft saved Draft deleted