1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Into The Wild

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Oct 29, 2007.

1. That's right.

It seemed like a lot of people were missing that. Even critics (though it would have been spoilery).

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I just got finished watching the movie. I enjoyed it, but imagine how quickly he would have died had he not gone to college for four years. College didn't prepare him for that potato root.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Precisely my take on the film, which I finally watched last night thanks to the joys of Netflix. I was really taken aback at how the character was portrayed, how it seemed like his parents (at least his father) couldn't see the real good in Chris, the wild, unfiltered of goodness that wasn't necessarily obvious. Yet total strangers met him and became so enamored with him that they treated him like family. The scene in the truck with Holbrooks made the room quite dusty, and I agree that Hal's performance was close to transcendant. I really enjoyed this one. Went 2 1/2 hours and never felt like it was dragging. All of the characters were that dynamic. Great, great film.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I think Krakauer has modified his view about whether Chris died from something he ate. Rather than the question of whether the seeds could be toxic, I believe I have read that he now thinks that maybe they had a mold on them.

Just as possible, though, that he simply starved to death.

5. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

I think the time he spent with the Old Man kinda gave him a change of heart about life and how important family is, especially when the Old Man mentioned about his unfortunate family and asked Chris to be his son to prolong his family's generation. I'd admit, I weeped a little during the last truck scene when the Old Man asked because I knew the outcome of the ending already.

I admired McCandless for his journey and life doing something out of the ordinary but never once regarded him as a hero. I think everyone has that sort of dream to do something extraordinary or peculiar. I think many can learn from McCandless's tragedy.

6. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Oh I forgot to mentioned, I love Eddie Vedder and the soundtrack was good, I only wished the songs were longer. Though Eddie explain the reason behind the short songs because he wrote them accordingly to the scenes. That Eddie, what a fucking genius! :)

He's one of the many reasons why Pearl Jam is the greatest band EVER. See you guys in MSG in two weeks, baby.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Five more days here.

8. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Awesome, Simon! Are you hitting both the Florida shows or just the West Palm Beach one or any other shows?

I'll be doing the last 5 shows in New York and New England. This is basically my summer vacation! :)

9. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

The level of jealousy for you is beyond comprehension. 5 shows? That's just an unnecessary wealth of fortune, you lucky bastard. :p

10. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Hehe good karma, I guess. I probably make peanuts compared to you, that's why I can afford to jeopardized my employment for over a week break to see my favorite band. ;D

Great avatar by the way, Yield was the one that I got me addicted. But my favorite is No Code.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Holy shit!

I just have West Palm Beach on Wednesday.

Going with the 14-year-old.

12. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

Hehe, I think that's the age I went nuts for this band. Enjoy the show man, it'll definitely be fun!

Draft saved Draft deleted