1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interview advice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cowbees, May 8, 2013.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I try to turn that around and use it to illustrate an area I have improved in. I might say something like "I have really improved in finding unique human-interest stories related to my beat" or "I use a lot more graphics on my pages than I did a few years back."

2. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

I applied for a job once and when I went to visit the shop to see if I liked it, the EIC introduced me as the new sports reporter.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a good plan. Use it to illustrate that you are demonstrating improvement. Do not say you don't have any weaknesses.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

"Sometimes my friends worry about me because I work so hard."

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Another is to say you lack experience in something that won't be relevant for your job. If you're a copy editor, say you've always wanted to try writing a magazine-length feature but never had the opportunity. If you're a reporter, say you've become rusty at page design since you did some at your high school newspaper. Never say you aren't capable, just that you don't have as much experience as you'd like for your own very high standards.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

OK, I'll disagree with you

It obviously shouldn't be your first question out of the gate, but there should come a point in the interview where you get on the subject of things like benefits, vacation, insurance and, yes, salary. Never ask for a specific number -- you can hammer that out if you're offered the job -- but try to get a range so you can have an idea of what you're walking into. Maybe within a couple thousand either way for starting salary, and then how they do evaluations and raises to get an idea of the top end.
    There's a very specific time and place for it in the interview, but it is a very important question.
    Of course, this is also assuming this is a one-interview gig. If you know there's going to be a second or third interview, it can be held until later.

7. Wear pressed slacks and shirt, a nice tie, and a decent pair of shoes. Turn your cell phone off.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Every time he asks a question, say, "You talkin' to me, bro?"

9. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

If you have any skills outside of great reporting and writing, let the SE (people who interview you know). Copy editing, design, and of course web and social media can put you above the rest. Know what Google analytics, AdWords and short links are. Even if you just have a general knowledge of such things, it can show you are willing to diversify. Journalists have to be more than writers nowadays. You have to be able to write a story and then go on-air and talk about sports intelligently. Now, your probably not going to have to do that at a smaller shop out of the gate, but if you want to move up, it's beneficial to be talented beyond the written word.

Draft saved Draft deleted