1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internships in Kentucky/Southern Indiana

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CollegeJournalist, Jan 11, 2007.

1. DyePack

DyePack New Member

What's a Kenrel?

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, they didn't spell-check their staff-written stories at the CHH. :D

(kidding, Hammy)

3. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I always enjoyed the little pissing matches between college papers. Helped teach the lesson early on that most contests are bullshit.

That way, when someone claims a section HAS to be good because it's in the top 10, then I have a response.

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Is this true? It just seems like mass-mailing stuff would be more of a nuisance than anything. I was told to e-mail a lot of stuff, but maybe that's why I don't get replies - because it's e-mail.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

The Kernel and CHH only wish they were as good as The Cardinal.

Wha... Wha...Huh...Huh... Oh, I must have been dreaming.

College, I'm assuming you're looking for a print internship. I'd suggest starting with the Kentucky Press Association. In addition, Landmark Community Newspapers Inc. is based out of Shelbyville and has several newspapers in Central Kentucky. (I believe it still owns the Cats Pause, too.).

Cheryl Tolbert is the HR director for LCNI, but I think they have a corporate person who is responsible for finding interns. It was Max Heath when I was starting out. Not sure who it would be now.

Anyway, I'm based in Louisville and would be happy to offer advice at anytime. Good luck.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ahhh Max Heath. I love Max Heath.

Love him as in he told a newspaper he was hiring me away from where I was working at the time, that newspaper went to my SE and said "I hear IJAG is coming to work for us" leading to a phone call from said SE immediately thereafter.

Regardless of the fact I'd never even talked to that paper, only to Max. And had never even gotten to talking money, nor was I really even going to go, in all likelihood.

7. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Max hired me to my first job out of school in LaGrange, Ky.

Looking at KPA site is a great way, and just calling LCNI or any of the Scurz paper in kentucky would be helpful. Winchester is a one-man gang, and Keith may enjoy the help for the summer.

Good luck with your search. Ft. Knox also has an internship program with its summer ROTC camp. I did it one year, and it was a blast, you get to shoot guns!. I guess they still do it.

8. Talk to Scoobie. She'll get you headed in the right direction.

IJAG: I wish I still could recommend Maria Braden. She took care of me when I was in this kid's spot -- hooked me in with the KPA. Firm but fair, I say.

ps: I like Winchester a lot. Don't fret about doing sports on a summer internship at a small paper, though. There's not enough going on. Get in there and write some different kinds of stuff. It'll pay off for you in the long run. It's not like SEs only consider sports clips when they're hiring. If you write engaging features about other stuff, they're just as valuable. Maybe more valuable.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

RIP, Maria.

And it's Schurz, not Scurz.

10. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I'm not worried about doing sports as an internship. I'm doing sports for the Kernel now because that's how I got in. They needed sports writers and sports is what I know, so I did it. I'm not even sure I want to be a sports journalist.

I'll head over to the KPA site soon and go schedule an appointment with Scoobie Ryan too. Hack, if you post your e-mail I'll get in touch with you, or if you want me to put mine up, let me know. I'm open to anything you have to say. Like I said, I'm pretty green on how to be a journalist. Writing comes easy to me and I know how to write--but I'm still in the process of breaking down the walls of "how to pass a HS portfolio" and turn that into "how to be a journalist." ;D

Thanks for the help.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Woops, nice catch.

Draft saved Draft deleted