1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interns giving journalism lessons

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, May 8, 2009.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i so loved it when one fresh grad on her 1st real job tried playing miss know-it-all and would go running with her style book when she was sure she was right about something. stopped doing that when someone else pointed out to her that even if she was right, she'd be wise to not try to play the "who's right" game with her boss in her 1st month on the job.

2. Sneed

Sneed Guest

*dutifully taking notes in preparation for graduation*

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Maybe try answering the question ... maybe she's just looking for some insight into your train of thought on things, trying to expand her horizons? Hard to say without being able to hear her tone, I think it's completely innocent to ask, and would only move into the rude response suggested by most people here if she was argumentative about your reasoning. Personally, I don't take any offense to people asking questions about my stuff, be it editors, older co-workers, younger co-workers or readers. At least someone's reading and cares enough to mention it.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Maybe if she read my stuff instead of commenting on my conversations with people who call in about my work, I'd be happy to let her in on what my train of thought it.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

several years when working as the editor of a magazine, had a college student who was an intern. She was always asking questions, making suggestions, etc. At first I thought it was a little annoying --- like "what does this 20-year-old gal know?" --- but then I realized she made some excellent points. Asked things and angles I hadn't thought of and kept me on my toes.

Of course, I did the same to her. We made each other better and the product better as a result.

Students do bring a fresh approach that some of us veterans tend to get away from at times. And I never want to be the one to quinch someone's desire to learn and grow, either.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

But is she lovely and/or talented?

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

[​IMG]

I do know more than you, you know. So, you go girl....

8. That's an awful way to approach it. Essentially, you're saying you have such an ego that there's no way she might have a way to improve things. You can learn from anyone, and if you're not willing to even give that a chance, you're the jerk.

I've been that intern who's seen something that was clearly wrong and dealt with the guy who responds exactly like you do. I know what it's like to have to swallow my pride and let him act like an idiot for the sake of getting the paper out. I know what it's like to have to secretly change an obvious mistake that this guy was too proud to listen to me about, just so our newspaper doesn't get embarrassed. I know what it's like when the rest of the newsroom apologizes for his behavior and thanks me for my maturity in the situation once we've got the section finished.

And because of that, I know enough to resolve to never treat an intern like that, no matter what. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, whether they're an intern or they've been there for 25 years.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Both. But I don't date people young enough to be my daughter.

10. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Do we know whatever happened to her?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

As long as she doesn't show up around here, it's all good. **snaps**

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A almost laughed at the intern today, but held it back in. News meeting for the morning and scheduling who could shoot video of an event in town. She said she could, but added "it gets in the way of reporting".

Yeah, doing the same work that I'm expected to do is tough, isn't it. Welcome to the real world.

Draft saved Draft deleted