1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internet Message Board "Death" Is this a good story?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Magic In The Night, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

Piotr, if I thought it sucked, I'd say so regardless of the relationship. I've got plenty of friends who write sucky stuff.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Didn't do much for me, but so what? Nice to see a paper take some chances, and the SP Times is one of the few that still does.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Someone lies on Internet. In a related development, sun to set in West again.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Fair enough. Sorry for the gratuitous potshot.

I just don't think that, as written, it merited a story. It needed more experts and other examples, and less "The people at this particular forum got upset!"

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the Drip feature be on the back page?

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

At least gin up some other examples of fake deaths/accidents/whatever. Just anecdotally I know of the two fake car accidents by people at forums I used to frequent. And I've heard of people faking deaths or sucide attempts for attention, though I'm struggling to think of names/specifics. Having the local tie is good and should be a substantial part of the story, but I can't see anyone caring if ALL we get is the drama contained within this community. And certainly not the stuff of Sunday A-1, no matter how well-crafted a non-story it is.

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

www.instantrimshot.com

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

See, I disagree with these, but I'm not sure I can explain why.

It wasn't about one internet community, necessarily. That was the focus, the peg. But this was about people feeling the need to present some false sense of themselves online, the need to cover their lives, the clash of internet living with real life, etc. Oren was an example, but he wasn't the only one.

At least to me.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Never would have happened on Greasy Lake (too inside Springsteen?)

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Yes.

11. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Didn't someone on this board mention this a while back?

Draft saved Draft deleted