1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

International voltage and my laptop

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jun 12, 2009.

  1. KJIM

    KJIM Well-Known Member

    Going to Greece next week. I'm trying to figure out if I can use my laptop there safely.

    This is what's on something that came up when I Googled:

    "Electricity in Greece is 230 Volts, alternating at 50 cycles per second. If you travel to Greece with a device that does not accept 230 Volts at 50 Hertz, you will need a voltage converter."

    I have something from Radio Shack marked "85 Watt Step-down Converter." It says it converts 220/240 VAC to 110/120 VAC

    Anyone have a clue if what I have means 220-240 and that it's OK for 230 volts?

    I don't want to fry the thing. Or myself, unless I'm on on the beach.
  2. PCLoadLetter

    PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

    You shouldn't need a converter. The vast majority of modern electronics are designed to work outside the US.

    My laptop is good up to 240 volts. It will say somewhere on the computer or on the plug. (I have a Sony with a cord that runs to a little black box, with a separate cord that runs from the box to the wall plug; the voltage information is all on that little black box.)

    The one thing that typically doesn't work overseas is a hair dryer. Other than that you should be fine. You'll need a plug adapter to be able to plug anything in, but you likely won't need the voltage converter.
  3. 2muchcoffeeman

    2muchcoffeeman Active Member

    Something like this or this from laptoptravel.com should work.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page