1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

International Bowl to be played in Toronto in January...what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 21, 2006.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Perhaps they should find a smaller stadium to use so it doesn't look so empty.

I heard Saunders say he was born about a mile from the stadium.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

There isn't one. Well, not in Toronto and if you played it in an outdoor stadium in say, Montreal, it could be -20 F.

Unless they want to make it an Arena Football Bowl game and play it at the Air Canada Centre.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Maybe CanuckSportsJournalists.com can help out here but aren't Rogers Centre, BC Place the Big O the only domed stadiums in the Great White North? And yeah, I know BC Place isn't exactly "domed" right now.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup.
    That's it

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I can't imagine this thing will last another year. Some time soon -- I can't remember when -- Americans will require passports to get to Canada. If you're a fan of, say, South Florida and you learn on Dec. 3 that your Bulls will be in the International Bowl and you don't have a passport, are you going to go to the trouble to get one? And if you go to such trouble, will it be processed in time for your to get to the game? Not bloody likely.

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

I heard Snow was scheduled for the halftime entertainment. I really miss him.

7. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Passports are recquired for air travel only.

A birth certificate and photo ID (driver's license) is fine at land border crossings.

However, are South Florida fans going to drive 24 hours to Toronto? No.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

JR, why not move it down Highway 5 or the QEW to Ivor Wynne? A whole new contingent of fans could be subjected to that retarded Oskee Wee Wee chant. :D

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was there and had a great time. Turned into a terrific game. Great atmosphere with the bands etc., light years removed from an Argos game. Good turnout of fans from each side too. Based on the number of people sporting NFL jerseys, there were probably a lot of curious locals too. I know several other people who went who, like me, will be there next year too.

I was on the Cincinnati side and I could hear a lot of people making post-game plans. Some were heading for the bars and club, others to the CN Tower or Yonge St.and plenty were planning on seeing the Leafs and Raptors. The promoters did little advertising of this game here after the teams were picked but maybe they need to stress to the fans frome each school how much other stuff there is to do here post game.

The noon start time was perfect (the spring-like weather helped too). A late-afternoon or night game going up against the Leafs would be suicide and based on the number of buses I saw outside with Ohio or Michigan plates the start time worked for those who wanted to get home last night.

And I'm sure a lot of the lower-tier bowls paper the house with freebies or discounted tickets.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I would think Vancouver might also be a good place for a bowl game north of the border -- close to several colleges and conferences, not too far past the border crossing, etc.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Until Jan. 1, 2008. Then it's required for all border crossings.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

And you can get a passport in 2 weeks. Standard is six weeks, but if you throw in another $20 (or somewhere around there), you can get an expedited passport mailed to you.

Draft saved Draft deleted