1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

International Bowl to be played in Toronto in January...what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Yep, Northern Illinois is in the MAC. I'm debating whether to head to the alma mater's home finale on Friday afternoon. They play NIU, so it will be a loss, but it could be fun to watch Wolfe run all over that defense.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

Pitt doesn't travel well, and USF is a commuter school. I doubt they'd travel well either.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My guess is Toronto would have loved Syracuse to be an option. How far of a drive is that?

4. Bills90

Bills90 New Member

Whether any travelling fans go or not, I think the novelty of the game will attract a sizable crowd.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Rough estimate: 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
    Made a family trip to Toronto and then to upstate New York as a kid. Don't remember exactly how long Toronto to Syracuse was, but it wasn't lengthy.

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

why in hell is this game being played on Jan. freakin' 6?

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Because of ... ESPN. Looking to fill the "void" of a Saturday afternoon in January before the NFL wild-card playoff games later in the day.
    It has the GMAC Bowl on Sunday the 7th at 8 EST, after the two NFL wild-card games.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Heaven forbid we do anything that would make the D-I season any longer than it is.[/collegepresidents]

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, the BCS title game is on the eighth. Might as well not waste that weekend. I guess.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

a know schools who want to play in this game because it will give them more practice time after the regular season

11. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

The teams might not be that great, but that doesn't mean it won't be a great game. Take the kids and enjoy the college atmosphere -- assuming any fans of the teams show up.

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

JR,

Here's some college pointers. There are a few rules that are different than the NFL.

On kickoffs, the clock starts immediately after ball is kicked. In addition, the clock does not stop on a change of possession.

While the goalposts are the same size, the hash marks are spread much wider

No 2-minute warning like the NFL, however the clock does stop after each earned first down until the chains are set

Pass interference is just a 15-yard penalty

On point-after attempts, defenses can return blocked kicks, fumbles or interceptions for its own two-point conversion.

On passes, only one foot is needed in bounds for possession.

Players are down immediately if they fall untouched.

Draft saved Draft deleted