1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Internal Polling Suggests Hastert Could Devastate GOP

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Oct 6, 2006.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Like I said, this country IS in trouble if we have odds on things like this. And, for the record, I couldn't give two monkey testicles to know what's going on with Survivor. I'd rather have marbles crammed up my nose than watch that piece of crap show.

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Bingo, Poin.

I hate to say we're doomed, but...

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

An excellent column. But don't expect too much from the lib side. First, they'd have to read it. Second, they'd have to understand it. The first is unlikely. The second is astronomically unlikely.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Yeah, it's great. Gotta like that the Republican spin machine is spending so much time attempting to dissect the definition of pedophilia.

Nice work, fellas.

5. old_tony

Actually, what's nice work is how much time the Democrat spin machine is spending fucking up the definition of pedophilia for political gain. But you already knew that.

6. Maybe the GOP needs to grow a pair (sorry for the choice of words):

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/10/dennis_hastert_and_the_cringin.html

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I read it. I think Jonah Goldberg is a douche. He makes some points, but you certainly can't say that either political party has a moral edge over the other. They're both equally full of assholes and scumbags...with the rare decent human being thrown in.
    Anyone who is a huge partisian is a moron anyhow. Look Washington, just keep me from getting fucked on taxes, give business what it needs to excell, look out for the most helpless members of society, keep me halfway safe from terrorists, pollution, etc. and stay the fuck out of my private life. Can a guy or gal run on that platform...because I would vote for him/her.

8. old_tony

Damn, tyler. I'd vote for you.

9. Jonah Goldberg -- quintessential chickenhawk and wingut legacy hire.
    I read it and I understand this sentence in particular --
    "What liberals don't understand is that social conservatives actually believe their moral rhetoric, even when it's politically inconvenient."
    to be as close to perfectly distilled bullshit as I've ever read.
    Newt Gingrich -- Wife began career as Mistress No. 5 (estimated).
    Rush Limbaugh -- Drug addict and sex tourist.
    Bill Bennett -- degenerate gambler.
    Henry Hyde -- homewrecker.
    1994 class, of which Mark Foley was a proud part, something like 27 marriages fall apart within two years.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

What's the record for contradictions of terms in one sentence?

Many a business has found the quickest way to excelling is at the expense of the most helpless members of society and without any controls on how much they can pollute.

Good luck finding a government who can satisty all your criteria.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

Hondo and Chris L, let me ask you something.

If you are a Republican congress member, why do you want Hastert to stay? What is the benefit?

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

It says a lot about the leg the Republicans have to stand on when Jonah Goldberg is held up as a voice of reason and sanity.

I mean, Jonah Goldberg lecturing about the evils of "fanning the flames of righteous fervor" over a politician's sexual escapades? Jonah Goldberg? Irony's head just exploded, apoplectic at the lengths the American right will reach to show it has absolutely no shame.

FB touched on it, but this sentence is particularly appalling:

Yeah, that's why everyone from the righties on this board to Fox News to Dennis Hastert himself are bellowing the baseless claim that the Democrats have orchestrated the Foley scandal. Same with George W. Bush's drunk-driving arrest disclosure in 2000. And it's amusing to see Republicans getting right out in front on the issue of what is sex and what isn't, just as they did in 1998 -- but for entrely different reasons, of course.

Oh, and James Dobson? Your silence is deafening. Yeah, you had a deputy issue a timid statement, but if Foley were a Democrat, I'm sure Armageddon would be imminent.

Draft saved Draft deleted