1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

InterMat/National Wrestling Coaches Association- Dir. of Media Relations -- PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by InterMat, Jul 7, 2008.

1. InterMat

InterMat New Member

My position has opened up: Posting it here since I came from the newspaper industry to this gig. This was a tough one for me to leave, great people here. If there's wrestling folks out there, give it a look.

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/JobPostings/JobPostingView.aspx?JobID=2059

Organization: National Wrestling Coaches Association
    Job Title: Director of InterMat
    Description:

• Write and edit news releases, event notes and feature articles.
    • Serve as public relations director of the National Wrestling Coaches Association
    • Serve as primary media contact for National Wrestling Coaches Association.
    • Maintain and update results, records and statistics.
    • Maintain and update the associations web site
    • Oversee high school and college national team/individual rankings
    • Oversee high school recruiting section of InterMat’s web pages.
    • Overseeing business side of website including: renewing and signing up new subscription users, and advertising.
    • Develops strategies to promote the image of the association by identifying the needs and interests of various constituent groups
    • Other duties as assigned

Requirements:

• 1-3 years experience in sports information or a related field
    • Baccalaureate degree
    • Undergraduate experience in sports information and/or sports writing
    • Knowledge of wrestling
    • Writing, editing and design skills
    • Knowledge of desktop publishing; experience with PhotoShop, and In-Design
    • Computer literacy
    • Website Design Experience (Dreamweaver)
    • Excellent oral and written communication skills
    • Commitment to travel and work on evenings and weekends

How to Apply:

Review of applications begins immediately. Applications accepted until position is filled. Email or fax cover letter, resume, names, addresses and phone number and email addresses of at least three professional references to: Pat Tocci at ptocci@nwca.cc or fax 717-653-8270

2. Y-town Pride

Y-town Pride New Member

InterMat: I've been covering wrestling in northeast Ohio for the past four years and am interested in the position. I have most of the qualifications, but my experience with Dreamweaver is rather limited. How much of a drawback will that be?

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

If this job wasn't in PA I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

4. Sean Smyth

Sean Smyth Member

Any reason why you're saying that, SE? Manheim is a nice little town -- very small -- and Lancaster, Harrisburg and even Philly (hour-plus) aren't that far away.

5. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Nothing against the job. Just that I'm too far from PA and not in the position to move family that far. Otherwise, I'd love to do wrestling work. Right down my alley.

6. InterMat

InterMat New Member

My experience with Dreamweaver was limited initially as well, but it's not crazy dynamic stuff, just building pages within existing stylesheets, etc. It's also a PR job too, so there's press releases about the company as well that need to be written along with actual coverage.

I currently live in Lancaster and make the 10 mile commute to Manheim. Harrisburg is about 30 minutes from the office.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I have most of the qualifications, except for one glaring thing: No degree.

That automatically eliminates me, I guess, but I'd love to get something like this. Have been covering wrestling in SE/Central Kentucky for five years now and love the sport.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Why not apply? The worst they can say is 'no'.

9. InterMat

InterMat New Member

Oregon's AD didn't have a degree -- it wasn't in the job requirement.
    Oregon's VOLUNTEER assistant wrestling coach had to have a degree -- it was mandatory.

So yes, Kilkenny sucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted