1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting Wash. Post story on the 9/11 conspiracy movement

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, if you want to say it's a conspiracy, OK. But to say the government cooked it all up and there weren't even any planes it's, um, a bit much.

It would sure be a lot eaiser to plant government agents posing as Middle Easterners on the planes to ram them into the buildings, wouldn't it?

If it makes you feel better, you can say they parachuted out and stuck bubble gum on the instrument panel to make sure the flight path couldn't be changed.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The 24ing of America continues.
    Anyway, umm, you get what you pay for with free speech.
    If you read the whole article, you'll note two camps, LIHops (Let it Happen) and MIHops (Made it Happen).
    I tend to believe that U.S. had all the knowledge in place to prevent 9/11, but no one put all the pieces together to keep it from happening.
    You have some pretty compelling evidence for that.
    But I can understand why people would rather believe something else. The most powerful country on Earth, ever and it was bombed into near submission by a trust-fund terrorist living in a cave?
    It almost becomes a question of why wouldn't you believe some wide-ranging conspiracy.

3. Here's another good corrective:
    http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cocoon/minerva/html/sept11/sept11-about.html

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Well, Jay, I agree that there is a price that comes with free speech, and having cook after cook pop up is one of them.

I disagree with you, however, on the statement that we were bombed into "near submission." Yes, it was a strike at the heart, but America was never really threatened. In the end, this country is a lot more than 3,000 people and a few buildings and airplanes.

Now in no way am I saying it wasn't a big strike and a hugely tragic day.

But, the resolve of America was never really in doubt because of 9/11. We hurt, we mourned ... and then we went and took down the Taliban and a whole lot of terrorists in Afghanistan. Al-Qaeda is pretty much in disarray. Now we just have to finish the job.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

(Don't look now, but the Taliban is coming back).

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I had a vision of little Emeril's screaming "bam, bam" as they prepared to strike America with their delicious version of gumbo, and all the kooks out there thought it was a vast conspiracy against chili.

And how about America was demasculated as a country that couldn't protect its own self. Our current president was exposed as a moron who read kids' books while terrorists struck at his largest city. Then as a religious nut, who said we are in the End Times and bent on avenging a decade-old threat to his father after garnering the support of the world. Even Iran held a candlelight vigil for America post 9/11, now we threaten them nuclear strikes.

7. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

If this happened in Nashville or Indianapolis, no one would have talked about it past Sept. 18.

/just kiding lol

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

There is a vast conspiracy against chili, it's be perpetrated by the people who insist on adding beans to it.

9. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

"... If you put the murdered President of the United States on one side of a scale and that wretched waif Oswald on the other side, it doesn't balance. You want to add somethign weightier to Oswald. It would invest the President's death with meaning, endowing him with martyrdom. He would have died for something ... A conspiracy would, of course, do the job nicely."

-- William Manchester, The Death of a President, 1967

Time magazine makes essentially the same point, I believe, this week, regarding 9/11. But my copy is in the bedroom and I'd have to step over baby gates to get there. Manchester's book was on a shelf in the room.

10. I keep hearing this -- that the rise of the JFK conspiracies was a rewaction to the "senselessness" of the act. I think that's a load of bull. The rise of the JFK conspiracies was due to the fact that all the initial investigations of the crime were hopeless botches -- either because of incompetence or because the government wanted to keep other secrets besides who might have conspired to pull the trigger. Some of the initial assertions in defense of the Oswald theory were laughable. Then some of the truth started dribbling out and we were off to the races. People didn't need a psychological defense to cope with the murder. They needed not to be lied to.
    And, in the strictest and most obvious sense, of course, 9/11 was a conspiracy. Just not an American one.

11. conspiracies are bred from this fact -
    the bush administration fucked up the handling of 9/11 so bad, it's almost unbelievable.

12. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

A buddy of mine sent me an e-mail with a link to a 9/11 documentary created by some group called "Loose Change".

Before I spend an hour and 25 minutes of my time watching this thing on YouTube, has anybody seen it? I've never heard of the group before.

Draft saved Draft deleted