1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting WaPo story on the Facebook/Wake case

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Or maybe just interesting to me because I followed this kid's recruiting when Virginia Tech was involved.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/08/AR2008040803211.html

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The difference is, unlike Virginia Tech gunman Seung Hui Cho, who left behind a trail of warning signs, Caparelli has no such trail.

I'd say his postings are pretty much a trail.

You spew hatred and violence for the world to see, exactly what reaction did he think would happen?

How'd you like to be the college administrator who lets him back onto campus, then, god forbid, something bad happened?

Anger management, dude. Get to know it.

3. It was one single posting that was left online for about 90 minutes. And it was in the Facebook status message that is often used for humor or hyperbole: "Black Dude is xxxxxxxx"

Obviously, incredibly stupid. Probably even deserved to be suspended. But he's also deserving of a second chance.

4. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I have a 19-year-old son in college and I'm e-mailing him this link. Obviously, Wake had to take this seriously, but I think kids often say/post things that they don't really mean, that could get them in trouble with someone, somewhere, if heard or viewed by someone not in on the "joke."
    In this case, one incredibly stupid outburst, and this kid will spend the rest of his college life, wherever he goes, as "that guy." Long-term consequences are a hard thing to get kids to understand.

5. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

As ill-advised as it was for him to post it for the world to see, I think that WAS his anger management.

6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

well-done story

interesting case

Draft saved Draft deleted