1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting Tom Friedman Column

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Tom Friedman=hondo?

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, well, well.

So only Muslim leaders can remove the cancer.

That means we can't.

Next flight from Baghdad to New York departs at 6 p.m. I expect to see 140,000 soldiers on board. Welcome home, guys.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If hondo had made the same observation that Friedman made in his column the thread would have been deleted as "too anti muslim."

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

BT has a point there.

I think, as individual Americans and as a collective single military unit, we can only communicate so much to any Muslim. To them, our culture is abhorrent. We can't understand that, because we believe, warts and all, we live in one of the greatest countries in the world. Personally, I'm not trading my citizenship for anywhere else - and I've been plenty of places.

So why would "they" hate the freedom "we" enjoy?

Well, the answer isn't that they're bad and we're good. It's more complex than that. Fortunately, Friedman usually does a nice job of pointing out those complexities.

5. Boom_70

It is an interesting point that BT makes but the huge question is where does such a pull out leave Israel- a culture that many Mulslims find more abhorrent than ours?

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't say anything about a pull out.

But where would one leave Israel? I don't know. On the brink of regional war? Exactly where it's been since the Six Day War? I don't know.

That's part of decisionmaking. Do we stay there for Israel's sake? Do we have a moral obligation to Israel? A secular obligation? Even so, if this was always about what's best for Israel...well, I'm not sure America's been playing into those odds much lately.

7. Boom_70

My sense is that Israel was a major factor in decisions that have already been made on Middle East .

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

My sense is that Israel was a major factor in decisions that have already been made on Middle East .
    [/quote]

Beyond the shadow of a doubt.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

We should move Israel to Texas. There is enough land there. The region has some real heat. Let's setup an area in Texas, cropping away some of America, and call it Israel.

If we are really looking out for their safety and they really want their own country, this would certainly be the best way to handle it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What if there is oil on the Israeli land? Can we move them to Oklahoma then?

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That really depends. I was thinking more of the ability to replicate the climate conditions of the current Israel. Maybe Arizona would work. What do you think about that? It would seem pretty easy to move some of those retirees out of the way (well, at least to Florida).

12. Boom_70

Sorry Arizona is spoken for. We are moving Mexico there.

Draft saved Draft deleted