1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting situation in Detroit - UPDATED

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/060714_prince/

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Re: Interesting situation in Detroit

Two points:

1.) Ownership and top management have changed since the Albom incident. Apples and oranges.

2.) There's no one in the biz I'd trust more than the Freep's current top editor and just a few I'd trust as much.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

where does this come from? first he alleges they wanted him out. then later he decides it's because he's black? come on. i'm white and know nothing about this situation so i don't know the deal. but it sounds like if what he said is his only violation, it's a case of wanting to get rid of the guy. this kind of thing happens. definitely unfair and it sucks for the guy. racism? seems doubtful.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Perry A.(sshole) Farrell was suspended more than a few years ago for plagarism. He took the AP's NBA caps, sent them into the desk as his own. When a copy desker caught it, he coughed, harrumphed and said he sent these by mistake, yet couldnt produce the ones with his name on it.
    His statement of "If I was a white guy with this much time..." Is pure Perry Farrell bullshit. He yearned to be Terry Foster -- someone who tried to be the "black voice of Detroit" even if selfappointed like Foster.
    Perry's biggest problem is Perry, not the color of his skin or the Man keeping him down.
    Sorry, but he fucked his way down the food chain. He should have gotten fired after the Pistons incident, but didn't because Jack Saylor had been busted a couple of months before and he didn't get fired. So if they didn't fire Saylor, they couldn't fire Ferrell.
    That would be the same Jack Saylor who had written for newspapers three times as long as Farrell, yet ended his career on a beat -- not as a lead columnist. That might be somethign worth noting as Perry spews his revisionist history on how he should have been a columnist.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

One major flaw with that story is that it says Ferrell was on the Pistons beat for "15-16" years. That would take you back to the Bad Boys days, when Drew Sharp was still the beat writer. What was the story behind Saylor's suspension?

6. JME

JME Member

Insert Jane's Addiction Pun here.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Farrell may be right about the newspapers not having sufficient minority representation at their upper levels in this country -- and we've discussed as much ad infinitum here -- but he's missing a pretty important fact: Newspapers have more than their share of dumbasses at all levels. If he's been writing for newspapers for 18 years -- and particularly so with the personal history Slappy mentioned -- then he most certainly should know better than to lift a quote. And this instance looks like the height of laziness; he already had quotes on tape that he had gotten himself. What kind of fuckhead gets his own quotes and then steals someone else's?

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I don't think I've ever seen Farrell's name on a high school story.

And for what it's worth, the Pistons beat writer is a woman now, the former Krista Latham (she just got married, but cant remember that name).

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

"Got caught stealing, once, when I was 48 ... "

10. JME

JME Member

Very well played.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Jahnke I believe. She's pretty damn good.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Farrell did some stuff from the baseball and softball finals... he replaced the future Mrs. Hank_Scorpio in the western burbs on the community beat

And Saylor got caught plagarizing some golf copy.. cant remember where, but (can get it in a day or so) got busted for it during the summer before Perry made his mishap with his NBA caps.... Jack got a week, setting the precedent....

Draft saved Draft deleted