1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting question for the board

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Googlaw, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Googlaw

Googlaw Member

So I have two positions open on my staff — a writer and a designer. I had interest from an in-house copy editors in news. She is by far the most qualified candidate. Here's the snag: the editor says 'No.' Said the candidate can't switch sides because it would create too much of a headache on the news side.

My question is this: Can he do that?

This person is miserable in news and wants to either join our sports staff or leave the business. So if she's unhappy, and wants to try something new, why can't she?

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Of course.

Because they said so.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hope she puts "them" to the test.

Be curious to hear.

4. Goo, which editor are you talking about? EE (executive editor?) or news editor. If it's the news editor go over his head.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

hell yeah go over his head...
    Is there a hangup with changing jobs -- ie: she's been in this position three months and is not allowed by company policy to change until working in it for six months?
    If she wants it bad enough, she can play the "gender discrimination" card. Might not apply in this case without knowing the particulars, but it can turn many management types into jello if played right.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

That's just an editor who doesn't want to have to go through the hassle of replacing the person you will be taking.
    I've been on both sides of that argument, but ultimately, a good organization would let a talented person move to a place where he/she can perform to their best.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Are you saying your newsroom is political?

8. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

Because two unfilled jobs saves more money than just one.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's what I'm doing. I don't want to cover sports anymore, at least in this capacity as a one-man show, so the publisher said he'll move me elsewhere in the company in the next month or so to design and do other things. Some employers are more helpful than others in this kind of situation.

10. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

What they said. Hey, if the editor says no, there really isn't a whole lot you can do about it. Just keep talking to the editor about it, and have the girl plead her case.

Otherwise, I suggest going over his head to the publisher. That always works well.

11. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Happened to me at one stop... I was in news, wanted to go to sports... there was an opening in sports, news editor wouldn't let me go... at about the same time I had been talking to another place about a job... got an offer... walked in, told them if I couldn't go to sports I was leaving. I think they thought I was bluffing. I wasn't.

12. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

That's what I was going to suggest. If this employee can't switch sides and the only other alternative is leaving, tell her to let them know that if she doesn't take the position, she's out of there. In any case, the editor might realize that her position will be vacant no matter what he chooses and she'll, hopefully, be allowed to move.

Draft saved Draft deleted