1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting note on APSE ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 85bears, Jul 14, 2006.

1. 85bears

85bears Member

Just snooping around the APSE site and read its ethics guidelines.

This has probably been on the books for a while, but it jumped out:

(a) Sharing and pooling of notes and quotes should be discouraged. If a reporter uses quotes gained secondhand, that should be made known to the readers. A quote could be attributed to a newspaper or to another reporter.

My question is - isn't it silly for a beat pack not to split up quote duties, especially in baseball in a manager's pregame? Or a college football weekly coach's presser?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This does seem odd. If that's the case, why do they hand out quote sheets at the end of college football games?

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The APSE doesn't do that.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

I don't think that rule applies to pregame or postgame sessions or anything like that. I think it applies to weekly notes columns. And many papers now run taglines at the end saying something like: "compiled from beat writers across the country."

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So AP stories will now start crediting the stringers who track down the quotes for the writer whose byline appears?

6. Xsportschick

Xsportschick Member

Unless I missed a sarcasm font...the answer is easy: handing out quote sheets at the end of any game, press conference, etc., is the organization's way of controlling, to the extent it can, what ends up in print.

Seems like a convenience, etc.

The ethics guideline seems pretty solid -- there are reporters who cut deals with competitors to trade info -- it's been a while since my sportswriting days, but I have seen it on the news side: two reporters agree to exchange information by taking turns covering meetings, etc. It's an appalling practice.

The operative phrase in the guideline: "quotes gained secondhand."

7. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

I think they're referring to quotes the reporters didn't hear. Weekly press conferences or pre-game meetings where reporters spilt up the transcriptions don't apply. I believe they're addressing things like trading quotes from one-on-one interviews.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

most intelligent thought posted in some time chick.

convenience is nice, being a lapdog and not realizing it is shit.

9. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Actually, it does happen. If I Google my real name, I'll get about a million hits off two recent AP baseball stories where I got an "also contributed" credit for having provided quotes, and it's happened a few times before. Basically, it happens on big national stories where the stringer puts forth some extra effort.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

But by their guidelines, it should happen on routine stories where the stringer contributes standard effort. They're basically saying everyone should source quotes, but they don't do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted