1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting industry news

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dcdream, Aug 9, 2011.

1. dcdream

dcdream Member

Globe’s Lee elected president of NABJ
    \
    By Derek Anderson, Globe Correspondent

Gregory H. Lee Jr., a Globe sports editor, was elected Friday night as the 19th president of the National Association of Black Journalists, an organization dedicated to providing quality programs and services to black journalists all over the world.

“I’m excited to be 19th president of the NABJ,” said Lee, who has been a member of the organization since 1996.

Lee, 37, who previously served as NABJ treasurer, won the election with 294 votes, defeating opponents Deirdre Childress and Charles Robinson, according to the NABJ website. He will be replacing president Kathy Y. Times.

“I’m very humbled to serve the organization that I hold very dear to my heart,” Lee said Friday night from Philadelphia, where the vote was held.

Lee said one of his first tasks as president will be to form a team to begin planning the convention that the NABJ will be holding in his hometown of New Orleans in 2012. He also plans to initiate formal relationships with black professional organizations across country.

“We have so many similar goals in what we’re trying to accomplish,” he said.

He also told the NABJ website that he intends to fill the organization’s three empty regional board seats.

As the senior assistant sports editor, Lee has worked for the Globe since November of 2004. Through his time at the Globe, he has brought new candidates and talent to the Sports Department.

“Greg has been a passionate, effective advocate for diversity within our profession and within our newsroom,” said Martin Baron, editor of the Globe. “NABJ will benefit immensely from his leadership, as have we here at the Globe.”

Lee will be faced with multiple challenges in his new position, including how to to boost membership. The NABJ lost 900 members in 2010, but had an increase of 35 percent in 2011, he said. The organization has 3,500 members this year, and there are an estimated 2,500 people attending the NABJ’s currently taking place in Philadelphia, Lee said.

After winning the presidential election, Lee said with a laugh, “I’m relieved. It’s been a long campaign.”

During the campaign, Lee said he had the ability to push NABJ to keep moving through the development of leadership, and meet the needs for gaining membership all while honoring the organization’s founding principles.

2. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I'm just amazed that Derek Anderson would rather work for the Globe than play for the Panthers. Or maybe not.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He eagerly awaits his opportunity to ask the quarterback a funny question.

Draft saved Draft deleted