1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting "faith" read

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 11, 2008.

1. The Bible is pretty clear that God can use anyone, even non-Christians.
    Politicians are liar and hypocrites. And every single president we've had in the country (and about 99 percent of elected politicians) are Christian, are at least claim to be.
    I vote for who I think will do the most good, not who I think has the strongest faith/most virtue/whatever else.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

I'm glad this got back to an honest discussion. There's hope in the world.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'm absolutely with you on this, but I also think that's where there starts a big divide among a lot of Christians or those of other faiths. Some people, like you, choose to be both a Christian AND a Democrat. But far too many fervently religious people refuse to compromise on their faith through their politics.

It doesn't make one side right, or more worthy, than the other. But unfortunately that's how so many people boil down the issue.

4. I think I see what you're saying, but I don't believe I've compromised my faith at all. In fact, my faith informs most of my decisions, including my political beliefs.
    I think a lot of Christians don't really think their politics through (I'm not calling out all of them, but specifically some I know).
    Most people are the same religion and political affiliation as their parents. They follow the philosophy of that old hymn, if it was good enough for grandad, it's good enough for me.
    But I think if you really study the Bible and the Christian message, you can just as easily come down on the Democratic side of most issues as the Republican side.
    Show me a Biblical passage that says to vote for the Christian in elections, and I might have to rethink my beliefs, but otherwise, I'll continue to do what I believe is best.
    I have the Holy Ghost to guide me just as much as anyone like James Dobson or Pat Robertson does.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sorry, Demo....didn't mean to imply that you've compromised your faith. That certainly was the last thing I meant.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've found, as a more liberal thinker and voter, that I come down squarely opposite the Bible on many issues, yet I still consider myself a Christian. A "practical" Christian, if you will, although I'm sure there are some on this board who'd claim I'm not a Christian at all.

I just refuse to let someone else define my faith.

6. That's exactly how I feel.
    And I didn't take offense to what you said. I just wanted to make sure we understood each other.

7. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Understanding, as Rev. Jeremiah Wright did, that there's a higher power than America, some people don't believe that faith should be compromised by politics; that politics can be pretty poisonous.

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

And that's fine for some people. I, on the other hand, firmly in believe some things that the Bible clearly says are wrong. But as a Christian, that's my responsibility to deal with God for my stance.

Doesn't make me not a Christian, though, despite what some might claim.

9. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Nixon was a Quaker. So 30 years later, I'm more than willing to give Quakers a second chance.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It would depend, of course, on the specific Quaker.

11. If you choose not to answer, I understand, but what do you disagree with the Bible about?
    You can PM me if you're more comfortable answering that way.

12. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

One in particular...the stance on homosexuality. I have very close friends and a family member who are gay and they are all incredibly wonderful people. I refuse to think of them as sinners.

Draft saved Draft deleted