1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting "faith" read

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jun 11, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I have no problem with faith. I have faith, myself.

But what gets attacked on here rarely is faith, at least in any genuine form. And when that "faith" is used to attack the innocent, then it deserves to be attacked as well.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What gets attacked here is intolerance masked as religion.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Oh gee. I guess then we should wipe out "sin" as a religious issue.

Brilliant.

I'm truly sorry I started this thread.

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Look, this board has a reputation. What I heard: You stand for some things, you get ripped.

You piss off those same people, you mysteriously get banished.

And most of it is in the name of "intolerance."

Debate conditions are determined on one side of the fence. That's the take "out there" and it didn't take but a few days of sticking my neck out to prove it.

I've seen nothing to disprove this.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Then go the fuck away. You're just wrong about how this board works. But if you wanna play victim and cry about it, go ahead. You won't be the first or the last to do that.

6. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side, ScribePharisee only has another 927 more posts to go until he can start his own 'I hit 1,000 posts' thread.

... said the poster who, in a moment of weakness, made his own 1,000-post thread.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Nor was the piece "interesting." Asserting that "virtue" is good, without a precise working definition of either goodness or virtue - only a citation of vapid attributes that may or may not be virtuous, especially in politicians - is neither insightful nor interesting. Worse still, the piece complains that voters often ignore virtue in favor of other, less heavenly, attributes. Like programs and positions. The trouble being, for both the authors and the voters, how do you reliably detect or even predict virtue in a public figure? Ted Haggard seemed virtuous right up until the moment he didn't. So did Larry Craig. And a thousand others. Sorry.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hmm, do we have a former poster in our midst?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I was beginning to think the same thing.

11. T2

T2 Member

Scanning the article, it seems to me that the writer was arguing that our President should be virtuous. But that doesn't require our President to be religious. To be "good," you don't have to be a Christian.

The writer even admits that the virtue of "faith" could be something other than faith in God; it could be faith in America.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

From page 6:

"The greatest fear we have regarding leaders is that they will misuse the power we grant them."

Misuse of power: A GOP constant, since Nixon.

Next.

Draft saved Draft deleted