1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting encounter

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Buck, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I got out of work a little early last night.
    I went by Blockbuster, because I'm working my way through the first season of 'Rome,' and I was little hungry. The Thanksgiving leftovers are at the GF's house. I've got some leftover pizza in the fridge, but I didn't reallly feel like eating that.
    It's about 11 p.m. I see a taco truck that's open, so I stop.
    There are a couple of people there ahead of me: a group of four teenagers (two guys, two girls) and a guy who is obviously bombed out of his head, crazy or, most likely, both.
    The woman running the truck doesn't speak English. The crazy-stoned-drunk guy is translating for the teens.
    After a couple of minutes, they get their food and take off.
    Now it's just me and the crazy-stoned-drunk guy.
    He's moving around a lot, not so much swaying as slowly gyrating the upper part of his torso.
    I'm minding my own business, waiting for my food, when the guy turns to me and says:
    'Hey, man, what do you think they should charge for a quesadilla if you give them the cheese?'
    'I have no idea, man,' I said, chuckling.
    He turns back around. Out of curiosity, I look over at the board with the price listings and note that a quesadilla is $3 with your choice of one filling.
    The guy's mumbling to himself about how he was there first and she always makes him wait because she knows him and he's only going to give her $1 because it's his cheese and the cheese is the most important part of the quesadilla.
    He turns back around and says to me:
    'I mean, we're talking about a tortilla (he puts his left hand out, palm up, to indicate the tortilla). Some cheese (he wiggles the fingers of his right hand over his left hand, as if he's sprinkling shredded cheese on the pantomime tortilla), some carne sada and another tortilla (he puts his right hand on top of his left left, sealing the symbolic quesadilla like a taco truck Marcel Marceau).
    'And I GAVE HER THE CHEESE!' he proclaims.
    The woman comes to the window of the taco truck with the quesadilla and tells him '$2.'
    He says '$1.' She says 'No, $2.'
    He starts fishing around in pocket, setting up the inevitable.
    He turns to me and says 'Hey, man, you got $1.'
    I tell him I've only got a few bucks on me and I've still got to pay for my food.
    He goes back to fishing around in his pockets, pulls out some change and turns back to me.
    'How about 50 cents?'
    I say I've got some change and give him two quarters.
    He asks the woman 'How about $1.50?' She says 'No, $2.'
    He fishes around some more and pulls out a $1 bill, gives the woman his money and takes the quesadilla.
    He starts gathering himself, getting himself together so he can get on his bike and ride home. It was a pretty nice bike, by the way, although it was a kid's size.
    I get my food and start to get into my truck.
    The guy says 'Hey, man, my name's Richard. If you ever need anything, let me know.'
    I say 'No worries, Richard. Have a nice night.' I get in my truck and leave.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

[buck]How 'bout my motherfucking 50 cents back?[/buck]

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

So he kept your $.50? He gave her a buck, asked you for $.50, then dug out another $1 for his $2 meal.

Did he keep your $.50? I mean, I'm guessing you wouldn't have taken it back...but the nerve!

(dammit, mustardbased beat me to it)

4. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

That's what I was thinking...minus the motherfucking part :)

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I couldn't tell how much change he had leftover after the transaction. He had a bunch of change, including the 50 cents I gave him, plus the $1 bill. He gave the woman the bill and a bunch of change, and then put some change back in his pocket.
    But I can't wait until I'm in line at market or some place, because I'm going to randomly turn to the person behind me and ask 'Hey, man, what do you think they should charge for a quesadilla if you give them the cheese?'

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

This sounds like a question on the NFL draft combine exam.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Reading that beautiful story I envisioned a character to a movie. You've got the start of a book right there, Buck.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

24. Buck has $4.79 in his pocket. He orders a $2 quesadilla. Crazy Stoned Drunk Guy has $1 and, since the Spanish-speaking quesadilla won't give him a discount for having his own cheese, he still needs $1. Buck gives him 50 cents. Crazy Stoned Drunk Guy finds $1 and buys his quesadilla. Buck buys his quesadilla. How much money does Buck have left?

a. $4.29
    b. $2.29
    c. $1.79
    d. $0.79 (because Crazy Stoned Drunk Guy picked his right front pocket when he was digging for change)
    e. None of the above
    f. All of the above

9. markvid

markvid Guest

At least he didn't flip out and get physical, which is what I would have feared from the start

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't know if I ever told this story.

Between my sophomore and junior years in high school, I went to Point Park College in Pittsburgh for a week-long sports writing workshop. Small-town boy visits the city.

Upon checking in at the front desk, I went to the elevator to get to my third-floor dorm room. A 20-year-old guy got in next to me -- waist-length hair, dirty bandana tied around his arm, eyeballs at 9 and 3 o'clock. As the elevator door closed, he collapsed to the ground. As we got to the third floor, he got up, dusted himself off, and walked out of the elevator as if nothing had happened.

Fifteen-year-old me might have actually peed a little bit in that elevator.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Greatest. Description. Ever.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Too many IC's will give you that look.

Draft saved Draft deleted