1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting debate offered: Did these students cheat?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

How is this different from the "test files" that greek houses have been known to keep? In those cases, does it fall on lazy professors?

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Is it any different from an English lit professor that puts all or his exams and assignments in the same (unsecured) directory on the campus network and the day before an all-essay exam a curious student checks to see if it's been uploaded early (which it was) and the class has a group study session to review what points to cover in each essay?

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I realize you used the blue font, but that's totally different. I hope that's your intended meaning.

4. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

They did not cheat. They did nothing wrong. Like has been said above, shame on the prof for his laziness. It's his own damned fault.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

They didn't cheat. They just broke the rules.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Winner winner...

7. Mizzougrad96

In high school, college and grad school, you find out about professors who are too lazy to change their tests. My fraternity had a test file where you could look at tests that other people had taken in the same class you were taking. Most of the time it was just a really good way to study, but every once in awhile a test would be identical. This was before anyone was using the Internet for such things.

With the Internet these days and the possibility that every test a professor has ever given is out there, professors should be required to significantly change every test they give.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Absolutely. My economics prof literally used the same tests semester after semester. He just changed the order of questions. Needless to say, it didn't take long for previous semesters' test to be found.

9. Mizzougrad96

In my honors English class my junior year of high school we had 25 vocabulary words we had to memorize each week. I had the class first period and the teacher had honors english classes period 2 and period 3.

After we would take the test, we would correct them in class and then we'd write down the answers and pass them off to friends who were in the other classes.

They would basically have to memorize the order of 25 letters while those of us who were unfortunate enough to have the class first period, had to actually study.

The teacher, who was supposed to be one of the best the school had, never picked up on it.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Nothing like paying for a class the instructor doesn't prepare for. It's college where people have the balls to stand up and say something about.

11. Mizzougrad96

It's not cheating. It's outsmarting a lazy professor.

Anybody can get a teacher's edition of just about any textbook with about 30 seconds on google. If a professor doesn't adjust his teaching and testing style to combat this, he should be fired for being lazy.

12. Journo13

Journo13 Member

No. Quinn is too lazy to come up with his own questions, so he shouldn't be attacking students. The kids simply bought a prep guide that just happens to contain answers to the test. Stealing an answer sheet is illegal. Buying a book that contains answers to the test isn't illegal, so I wouldn't define that as cheating.

Draft saved Draft deleted