1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting column by Jemele

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GBNF, May 7, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Especially since the title of the thread is about Jemele's column, but the part questioned is a quote that Jemele did not write. It is what someone else said. Why not title the thread, "What the heck is Jalen Rose talking about?"

EDIT: By did not write, I mean it's the words of someone else. She obviously wrote it into her column, but they are Jalen Rose's words.

2. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Oh, you. You're always right!

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You really couldn't follow that? I'm not familiar with sugar milk either, but the context made it pretty damn obvious that he was talking about things people who can't afford to pay the heating bill and buy groceries have to resort to. Now imagine that situation at a time when your father is a rich NBA star who won't acknowledge you.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's syrup on toast as the poor man's French toast.
    It's mayo on bread for lunch.
    Then it's ketchup on bread for dinner.
    Even the po' folk know it's uncouth to have a syrup sandwich after 6 p.m.

Actually, knew a kid whose mother pinched pennies so tightly that she would put American cheese and ketchup on saltines, toast them in the oven and call it "Little Pizzas" night!

5. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Did you read the column? Did it say once in the previous four or five paragraphs anything about Rose' financial status or his father's No. It caught me by surprise, and as someone who, again, has never heard of sugar milk or syrup sandwiches either, I apologize for by stupidity. Again.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Does it seem odd that many ESPN.com columnists have Gmail addresses? It seems kind of low-rent for such a big organization.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think it might have something to do with how easy GMAIL is, and how many features it has. Many employees probably forward from their espn accounts.

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Her columns are discussed because she is a prominent writer on the WWL's Page 2. Not usually a fan, but I thought the tone and reporting (Rose's self-serving pity party aside) worked.

9. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

If it's something that's every happened to you, I don't think it's something you'll ever get over. Although if I had several millions of dollars, I might change my tune.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

To this day -- even though I've always had it pretty good -- I still eat mustard sandwiches sometimes. I like them.

Also, I would puke if anyone ever tried to make me eat a ketchup or mayonaise sandwich. That's fucking disgusting.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That's not why.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

It may be by choice.

Gmail is great for filtering and following threads.

I bet she has an espn.com address, too, but does not publicize it.

Draft saved Draft deleted