1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Interesting blog post in Houston

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hope this "incident" took place before my favorite team arrived in Houston:

http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/archives/2009/07/mcnairs_death_n.html

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, the is interesting and who knows how common? Maybe there is a lesson about keeping your interns away from clubhouses in there? But I am sure there is an intern somewhere acting as an SE, so that may be naive.

In my opinion, that is the perfect use of a blog by a beat writer/columnist. That wasn't worthy of being in print, but it was interesting. And he could relate it, but do it without putting in names and having to get useless comments (and making himself a pariah in the press box), by blogging it.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Here's my problem, and it comes in the first graf:

"If I thought it were newsworthy, I would write a story about it."

I get the point he's trying to make, but the fact is nowadays, blogs ARE places with newsworthy information.

Unless you blog about something salacious, you'll get fewer readers there than in a dead-tree version. Fine. But something like this will find a sizable, if not significant, number of eyeballs in its own right. To say it's not "newsworthy" when posted on a widely read blog is disingenuous, at best.

EDIT: In which world is there an intern traveling on a beat? (He goes out of the way to say it wasn't an Astros player.) Presumably someone covering the Rangers when they were in town a few weeks back, which gets relatively close to outing the individual involved, no? Or, quite possibly, he's full of crap with this little vig.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The big question ... is the intern lovely and talented?

And, to boot, she's using the interwebs. SHE'S HIRED!

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Well, other teams do travel to Houston to play in games. Wouldn't be much fun if they didn't. So the story could still hold up - could be a visiting player looking for some road beef.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I'm not quite ready to condemn the intern based on this blog post. She seemed to be bragging about it? "Was asked out by (team name and player name) last night and I have his cell phone number to prove it." That seems pretty open to interpretation to me. Maybe she was insensed at the overture, felt she couldn't write about it in the paper and wanted to out the player. Hard to tell from what we read here -- there's not enough information to say this is closer to the "Shawn Green's goodies" incident or the Lisa Olsen situation.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I have not heard of an intern traveling on a beat. I'd bet that it almost never happens now, with limited travel budgets and such. The only traveling intern that would work in this case maybe is someone driving down from Dallas/Fort Worth to Houston, and that might even be a stretch.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm a fool here. Ortiz clearly said it wasn't a Chron intern. My bad.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

He wrote "female intern from another media outlet ..."

Doesn't MLB.com use interns? Couldn't a visiting player have asked out an intern for the Astros' site?

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

OR don't other papers cover the Astros? I don't know the market.

11. Sp0rtScribe

Sp0rtScribe Member

I believe the Chronicle just covers the 'Stros. They don't have any major competition, aside from TV, from the print angle.

12. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

A quick perusal of their site shows the associate reporter (fancy term for intern) is a guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted