1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Insult or lifeline?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Carter Gaddis, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I thought maybe this was a thread from 1998 about which game show to go on.

Too many variables. Did they ever say anything about wanting to keep you but not being able to because of whatever? (unlikely they'd say anything along those lines, but it's possible). Of course, if all their laid off sports people got the same offer ...

And what would be worse is if you sent a resume unbidden and you didn't get a callback.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Carter, check your private messages.

3. Xan, spnited: I already had decided not to send the letter back before I posted here. It took my wife and I about three seconds to decide that.

I posted here because I hadn't heard of this happening that often, if at all, and I wanted to bring attention to another example of what I consider rather shoddy treatment of the thousands of rank-and-filers who are suffering through this mess.

And, as a long-time SportsJournalists.com lurker, I thought it might generate some interesting conversation.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

nothing like be jarred awake by the morrisville cicadas ...

carter, glad you and your wife made that decision together, before you posted your thread here. you are right in that the responses are interesting, and i actually was going to write something. doesn't really matter though. what matters is that you and the misses worked together to make a decision you felt was right for the family.

good luck.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I am curious to hear more about Carter and Songbird's shared wife.

Good for you in not sending that letter back. That's flat-out trolling on the part of your former employer to try to bring back previous full employees at a cut rate. Agree with other posters about supporting the family, a paycheck's a paycheck, etc., but principles trump money. Which is why we're in this business to begin with.

6. KG

KG Active Member

I can attest to the disgrace one might feel when taking an undesirable job to be able to pay the bills. For the longest time, I was too embarrassed to even admit on here what job I took to get the bills paid (there are always wisecracks here about the people doing it). After about four months, I was unexpectedly asked by my manager to take a promotion, so now it's not quite as embarrassing what I'm doing to keep a roof over my head.

It sucks to not be working at a job that makes you truly happy, or is what you thought you'd be doing, but sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal with it until you can do what you want.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I guess I'm the only person who sees it as something of a compliment.

You obviously left the company in good standing. You were laid off for no fault of your own, so you certainly can't take it personally, or as some commentary on your job performance. Other people who have been laid off go through a mental struggle over whether it was a personal reflection of their skills, job performance, etc.

Maybe it's a form letter that went out to all laid off employees who left in high standing... no need to be insulted. It's just business.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Insult? Lifeline?

It's both. The two are not mutually exclusive.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The answer is, it's both...

Personally, I can't imagine having to walk into a place that treated me the way that rag treated you and Scott. Just to go back in that place would make me sick to my stomach and doing it for a substantial pay cut would make me want to shoot up the newsroom.

I have a close friend who had a similar offer last year who pulled his name out of consideration shortly after interviewing because he knew he wouldn't be able to do it.

If you have medical insurance through your spouse, I would tell you to collect unemployment and look for another gig. If not, it's something to consider because it pays the bills and as you pointed out, you're not the only one who is being effected by this.

Personally, I would be surprised if they actually hired someone back who they had just let go. I would imagine the contempt for the way you were treated would be too much for you to overcome. It certainly would be for me.

What a shitty situation.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Agreed. And if you go back, steal as much shit as you can. If you also happen to erase a couple of their data bases when you're there, well, that's a big oops.

I'm hoping Rivals or someone comes in and hires you and Scott. What has happened to both of you, and Tim Povtak and hundreds of others is an absolute travesty.

11. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

So .... you're saying there's a job opening?

Draft saved Draft deleted