1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Insider trading is illegal -- unless you're in Congress!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yes, Hondo, they are. We as voters have to share some of the blame.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it's a safe bet that more than 80 percent of Congress will be reelected despite record low approval ratings. How does that happen? The members of Congress get to pick their voters.
    Which really begs the question - if so many Congressional districts are drawn to be safe, why do they raise so much money to be re-elected?

3. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

That's a good point Dan about why they need that much money for a re-election campaign. Gerrymandering is ridiculous. I lived in a one-candidate district and not having another viable candidate was infuriating.

4. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I always thought they became millionaires from taking bribes not insider trading

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They raise tons of money for safe seats because then they can spread it around to other races and ingratiate themselves to colleagues. That's how the game is played if you want to make whip, or get that coveted committee spot, or get some live sent back your way when it's time to run for Senate.

Draft saved Draft deleted