1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inquirer Beat Guy to MLB.com ?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny_Killroy, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Let me put it in another way, there are enough qualified bodies at the Inky to fill the position. They don't necessarily have to make a hire.

2. blogismycopilot

blogismycopilot New Member

What happened to betting your house on the fact that they won't make a hire, drippy?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Nothing. Given the fiscal problems at the Inky and throw in the fact that there are still capable bodies there who can more than adequately cover the Phillies beat, it's not a very logical move by the powers that be.
    With the way things are going, especially in this cookie-cutter industry, wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year, the Daily News folded and those still left from the DN demise become part of a revamped Inky. Just one man's opinion.

4. http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20090207_Phillies_head_south__standing_pat_for_now.html

looks like they hired Kevin Roberts

great hire

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

No they didn't.
    Notice the byline.
    It says For the Inquirer, not Inquirer Staff Writer. There is a big difference.
    He's trying out for the spot and one of several "being looked at."

6. jetssack

jetssack Member

"trying out" for the spot? how does that work, exactly, when Roberts is still on staff at the courier post? what if the inky decides to go with one of the others "being looked at"? does his employer take him back after he already has an inky byline? oops...

yeesh.

7. blogismycopilot

blogismycopilot New Member

Roberts is not still on staff at the Courier-Post. He was one of the many unfortunate - and one of the most inexplicable - victims of the Gannett purge late last year.

Not sure how a suburban daily expects to survive by laying off its best man and thereby gift-wrapping him for the major metro, but hey, what do I know?

But according to drip, all the Inquirer needs is a warm body, which means Roberts - and whoever else they've interviewed - is way, way overqualified.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I never said the Inky needs a warm body. I said the Inky has enough bodies there to handle the loss of Zoleski and still put out a decent product. Apparently, the powers that be want to make a hire which is great. I wish Kevin Roberts well in trying to secure the job.

9. sportsed

sportsed Member

I have no insight into how things will play out for Jim Cohen, and whether he'll make a hire from inside or outside to fill the job. What I do know is this: Zolecki was an internal candidate when he landed the beat. Moved up from covering suburban preps, after working at the Northwest Herald for a couple of years. The circumstances then, as I understand it, were that the Inquirer couldn't make an external hire. Not that it didn't work out for both the paper and Zolecki in the long run.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Zo was a good preps guy at the Inky.

11. who's Zoleski?

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Inky is seeking experienced beat guys, I am told.

Draft saved Draft deleted