1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inland Empire implosion

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Smith, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Member

Heard that with buyouts and layoffs, the Riverside Press-Enterprise and San Bernardino Sun have lost 5-6 sports reporters since July and are now just left with a handful, none of whom even live in San Bernardino County -- the largest county in the mainland US. Anybody have any more info on this bloodbath?

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Got an offer from them a few years ago ... thank God I didn't take it.

3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

The only one I heard so far is Alan Steele, local college writer for the PE. He posted his departure on Facebook. Layoff, not buyout.

**edit** buyout, not layoff.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Spent 14 formative years in the Inland Empire ... freshman at Riverside-Arlington, sophomore-junior at Riverside-North and graduated San Bernardino-Pacific.

The area was a cesspool then and has only become worse, especially in San Berdoo.

You couldn't pay me enough to work there.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But are Fontana and Ike any good in football still?

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Most of my formative (and post-formative) years were spent and lived in the I.E., at various stops, and this spot on the cycle is distressing - yet not surprising. Tradtional media properties no longer offer a mid-level career arc in many markets, and the nature of Riverside and environs - secondary yet massive, mildly educated, limited shared news interests - make the area even more vulnerable to any economic dips.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I think that's all markets -- and pretty much every field -- nowadays. Screw the middle.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Not for many years, but back in the day, that was *the* game of the year in the I.E.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Spent two stints totaling more than a decade at The Sun. Sad, but not surprising, to hear this news. It was a great paper last century. Yes, you can say that about a lot of places.

I'm told all of the prep writers were offered buyouts as part of a "restructuring" and a "thinning of the herd."

At least one prep writer took it. The Sun sports editor took it, though he will still write on a freelance basis.

Also told, this was the only area where they could cut to make the bottom line. There are now nine prep writers total for the 11 SoCal papers in the news group.

For the Sun and P-E, there are three writers (one a columnist) and one person who has two writing shifts a week.

The "plan" is to do features, notes and analysis in print. Game stuff would be blogs and social media-type stuff.

And I'm hearing there will be more buyouts/layoffs before 2018, not just at the Sun and P-E, but the prep writers walked the plank first before the start of the school year.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Fredrick, who has a good feel for this stuff IMO, senses prep coverage has been deemed highly expendable by the suits. Time for some innovative folks (prep versions of The Athletic?) to try to fill the void? Me thinks there always will be advertisers willing to support high school kids.

Do u all agree this is starting to appear to be a place the big metros and the middle sized papers have deemed expendable? Kind of like the old golf writer back in the day? I'm serious. Preps are gonna be gonzo soon. No prep coverage at all.

11. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

The L.A. Times covers all of Southern California high school sports with ONE prep writer.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

For an area that rich in talent, that's a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted